Used Barr's in Radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had all of my hoses changed at 125K miles (a couple of months ago) along with the PHH. I noticed a quarter size drop of coolant if I let the LC sit for 2 days. Had it pressurized and it did not leak, but it was coming from the PHH area??? Finally decided to use some Barr's stop leak (same stuff they use on new GM cars) worked, no more leak. Figure I will change the coolant again in the spring just to get the Barr's stuff out. Hate to do it now since the coolant is only a couple of months old. What do you guys think, should I flush and refill? If I do, will it start leaking again because it will remove the Barr's or should I just exchange fluid? or should I just wait until the spring like I planned?? I understand that the Barr's is good for the water pump seals and GM recommends that you add a 1/2 bottle every time you flush and refill. Thanks for the input.

Personally, I would not put any type of stop leak in my cooling system. A leak means something is wrong. It is best to investigate, and fix the problem area correctly. Without a chemical analysis of the product, you have no idea what you are introducing to your cooling system. Chemical reactions may occur that are detrimental to your 80. I would flush the system now. Watch for the leak. Find out where, or what is leaking, and fix it.
My 2 cents,
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom