USA import question (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brewsterfire

Brewster
SILVER Star
Threads
Can a 25 yr. and older FJ40 be imported into the U.S. with a installed Diesel engine? Has anyone done this?

Thanks

If its 25 years old, it can have ANY engine or equipment... its exempt of all DOT and EPA requirements.

I would do a lot of research before importing a vehicle with a transplanted engine.

From the EPA Declaration Form

Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control systems.

If its 25 years old, it can have ANY engine or equipment... its exempt of all DOT and EPA requirements.

It can have any ORIGINAL engine. If it's been swapped, it's not legal to bring it in. Not that people don't ever do illegal things, that's up to you. Penalty for getting caught is forfeiture and destruction of the vehicle, plus hefty fines. OTOH, if you get away with it, no penalty at all. Life's full of choices.

Get in touch with the LiveWorkWander folks to learn the hassles they have been through importing a vehicle that had a newer engine installed. Huge hassles, but they are fortunate, the vehicle wasn't confiscated and destroyed.

Can a 25 yr. and older FJ40 be imported into the U.S. with a installed Diesel engine? Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Yes it can. I'm importing a HZJ81 from 1992. Get in touch with a customs broker to deal with the importation paperwork.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes it can. I'm importing a HZJ81 from 1992. G
A HZJ81 would be a factory installed Diesel engine, I was asking about a transplanted Toyota Diesel into an FJ40 (originally gas).
Would probably need to ship/import diesel separately to allow the EPA exemption.

Thanks for the replies.

A HZJ81 would be a factory installed Diesel engine, I was asking about a transplanted Toyota Diesel into an FJ40 (originally gas).
Would probably need to ship/import diesel separately to allow the EPA exemption.

Gotcha. I skimmed over that.

Installing the motor here or overseas doesn't matter. You lose the exemption either way. You're just much less likely to get caught if you do it in your own garage instead of trying to get it past US Customs.

IANAL but I would think that doing a swap overseas puts you at the mercy of the EPA import regulations, while doing the swap after import puts you at the mercy of your state’s DMV.

State laws vary wildly. Some states don't care in the slightest which engine is in you car, while others have regulations about what you can and can't do concerning motor swaps. Most (probably all) States publish their revised statutes online. It'll be in there, you just need to find it.

The EPA, on the other hand, is Federal and its rules apply everywhere in the USA. The prohibition on motor swaps in foreign-market vehicles imported to the USA falls under the "tampering" provision of the Clean Air Act. Tamper with the car's original emissions equipment (by swapping motors), and you are no longer eligible for the EPA exemption granted to foreign market cars over 21 years old.

You are allowed, under the Clean Air Act, to replace the original motor with either: an identical motor, or; a newer EPA certified motor. That's it. So if your Landcruiser has a 3B diesel, for instance, you could legally replace it with another 3B, or, say, a 2.8 Cummins or a small block Chevy, as long as the Cummins or Chevy were: EPA certified, newer than the 3B they replaced, and were installed with all original emissions equipment in place. That's the Federal law. Even being Federally compliant, you might still run afoul of your local State laws (see California, for example).

Now, that said, the Feds aren't generally running around the countryside, poking their noses into people's garages looking for illicit motor swaps in foreign market Landcruisers. They could, of course, but it's not something to stay up nights worrying about. US Customs, on the other hand, will at least look the trucks over when they arrive at the Port. Whether they know or care which motor is original is debatable, but the risk of them finding something surreptitious is inherently greater (because they're looking).

To the OP I say, either: find a BJ40 overseas and import it (it will already have the diesel motor you crave, and Customs and the EPA won't care a whit about it), or buy an FJ40 and a diesel motor and swap it here in the USA and take your (minimal) chances with the Federal Government.

Ah...I get it. I thought you were in the USA looking to buy. You're in Canada looking to sell. I didn't catch that first time through.

If that's the case, you can certainly advertise the truck here, but a USA buyer should be educated about the rules. Some people are natural born risk takers. Others, not so much. Seems to me that's the buyer's dilemma, not yours. GLWS

Ah...I get it. I thought you were in the USA looking to buy. You're in Canada looking to sell. I didn't catch that first time through.

If that's the case, you can certainly advertise the truck here, but a USA buyer should be educated about the rules. Some people are natural born risk takers. Others, not so much. Seems to me that's the buyer's dilemma, not yours. GLWS
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom