URE Trip Planning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Me and my brother are going to URE in a couple weeks for the first time. I have a stock fj62 on 31s and my brother has LX470 on 33s. What do I need to expect?

If it's dry, expect to be able to do most of the trails except Dickey Bell and the front side of Daniel. There are some tricky sections of Rocky Mountain Loop and Dutch John that may trip you up. You are low on 31's and the 60 has a big a$$. You will likely drag your rear bumper across a rock or two. If you have a receiver hitch, you'll be fine. If it's raining or if it has rained within 24 hours, difficulty level goes up. Be sure to get a trail pass at the Outpost (near the entrance to URE on Hwy 109). Otherwise, you could get a ticket. Have fun!

In what regards?

The trails are marked green/blue and black. I recommend staying off the D trails, Daniel, Dicky Bell and Dutch John. The other trails are lots of fun and you can drive the easy line or moderate line on most obstacles.

Check video for how the trails are, this is from the first weekend in October. Wolf Den, Falls Damn, and back of Daniel

What kind of tires are you running? Lots of sharp rocks out there. AT / MT tires highly recommended.

Recommended
Fuel Up
Trail Pass
Check all fluids
Air Down
Take snacks and water
Tires on rocks, never straddle obstacles
Recovery points
Tow strap with d rings (no hooks connected to tow straps)
High Lift Jack

Depending on your experience driving offroad, it can be a cake walk or a nightmare. If you want to get some quick experience, take a look at the place across the Outpost, OEX training school. They will help you with every aspect from vehicle dynamics all the way to complex recoveries. And you will be amazed how capable the land cruisers are pretty much stock. With good tires (street rubber is too thin for the roots and rocks) you will crawl through most of it with no drama.

Check out the book on my signature line, and I will be out there this weekend finishing up a long class.

In what regards?

The trails are marked green/blue and black. I recommend staying off the D trails, Daniel, Dicky Bell and Dutch John. The other trails are lots of fun and you can drive the easy line or moderate line on most obstacles.

Check video for how the trails are, this is from the first weekend in October. Wolf Den, Falls Damn, and back of Daniel

What kind of tires are you running? Lots of sharp rocks out there. AT / MT tires highly recommended.

Recommended
Fuel Up
Trail Pass
Check all fluids
Air Down
Take snacks and water
Tires on rocks, never straddle obstacles
Recovery points
Tow strap with d rings (no hooks connected to tow straps)
High Lift Jack

The only thing I would add to that list is a full size spare with tools and ability to change it or a plugging kit with ability to use it.

The only thing I would add to that list is a full size spare with tools and ability to change it or a plugging kit with ability to use it.
Absolutely. Completely forgot this one. Very important.

Saturday morning, if you see a unique, beautifully bespoque artisan painted green and white 80 by the barn across the Outpost, and some duffuses hanging around, come on over and say hello if you want, just ask for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom