uploading start up images (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
First I would like to introduce myself. I am a first time LC owner. just picked up a 2013 model. I have been reading the forums here for many years. lots of great information and awesome rigs!
I Previously owned a 2006 sport edition 4runner and a 2001 tacoma double cab.

I love the new LC and I am looking forward to many years of use.

I do have a question for the community. Any help is appreciated. I tried searching but came up without any resolution.

the Nav system on our vehicles apparently allow for the upload of personal photos images in a 10mb size or less to customize the start up.

I have followed the instructions outlined in the owners manual but have not been able to have the nav upload the images of my thumb drive. made the specific "StartupImage" folders and all????

have any of you had this issue? anyone have experience with this?

I apologize if this is a topic that has been discussed and for some reason I was unable to find in my search.
thank you
Manny

Not sure if the same method would work as my cruiser is a gulf spec that had a Toyota retrofit nav/head unit. I had an image of my cruiser directly on the usb drive and not in any folders plugged in and at the image startup setting clicked on image from usb drive and it showed what pictures were available picked the one I wanted and it copied over into the internal memory

Not sure if the same method would work as my cruiser is a gulf spec that had a Toyota retrofit nav/head unit. I had an image of my cruiser directly on the usb drive and not in any folders plugged in and at the image startup setting clicked on image from usb drive and it showed what pictures were available picked the one I wanted and it copied over into the internal memory

interesting...sounds different than my setup??
with my USB drive in place, I don't have access into it?? I am prompted to "transfer photos".....giving it the folder name "StartupImage" is supposed to prompt direct finding of the uploaded images.....except it never finds any??

I will try going back in and searching through the menu some more to see if I can find it as you mentioned.

thank you for your input

Tried many different variations of getting this to work. Using different usb's, file names, caps and always failed so eventually gave up on it.

Sent from my iPhone

I had not noticed this feature existed. I followed the naming conventions and it works just fine. Bear in mind that it is logically two steps: Load images and then a second step to select an image to use. I appreciate that 200LC brought it up.

I loaded images back when i first got it, worked really well, I think I remember the images can only a certain file size, it was pretty small, i had to shrink them down a bit...

I loaded images back when i first got it, worked really well, I think I remember the images can only a certain file size, it was pretty small, i had to shrink them down a bit...
the manual states 10mb or less, which all my images don't even equal to 1.5mb

I had not noticed this feature existed. I followed the naming conventions and it works just fine. Bear in mind that it is logically two steps: Load images and then a second step to select an image to use. I appreciate that 200LC brought it up.
Yes, i do realize that according to the manual it is 2 steps......Can't get past the 1st step of uploading???

It says in the manual you have to type the folder names exactly as it was written. Give that a try.
I tried...case sensitive and all......Even tried with the quotation marks just in case too! lol

Tried many different variations of getting this to work. Using different usb's, file names, caps and always failed so eventually gave up on it.

Sent from my iPhone

I too have tried all as you mentioned....frustrating but I'm stubborn and will keep trying. lol

thanks for all the input

how large of a file did you use?

I uploaded two JPGs. One to Startup and one to ScreenOff and each was about 3.6mb. The manual says there is a 10mb limit. I suspect, but I don't actually know, that this limit is for the sum of all "personal images." So, if my assessment is correct, I used 7.2 of 10. I don't know the native resolution of the screen.

On a separate note, I find the cameras to be pretty awful resolution-wise. Disappointing when I am dodging something that will rip a wheel off. This is 2014---they could have done a much better job for a very meager amount. Regardless, it is a fine machine.

Added: I would make sure you use a modestly sized USB stick. Perhaps the processor is choking on the addressing structure. I used an old 512mb stick. Also, I reformatted the memory and the only two folders on the stick were exactly as they named them in the manual.

This only works on 2013 and newer correct?

I uploaded two JPGs. One to Startup and one to ScreenOff and each was about 3.6mb. The manual says there is a 10mb limit. I suspect, but I don't actually know, that this limit is for the sum of all "personal images." So, if my assessment is correct, I used 7.2 of 10. I don't know the native resolution of the screen.

On a separate note, I find the cameras to be pretty awful resolution-wise. Disappointing when I am dodging something that will rip a wheel off. This is 2014---they could have done a much better job for a very meager amount. Regardless, it is a fine machine.

Added: I would make sure you use a modestly sized USB stick. Perhaps the processor is choking on the addressing structure. I used an old 512mb stick. Also, I reformatted the memory and the only two folders on the stick were exactly as they named them in the manual.

thank you, I will continue to attempt
Don't know that I have a memory stick that small?? I will also make sure that there is nothing else on it....

I agree that the camera quality does seem poor.....I think I wasn't as critical about it because I was just amazed with 4 cameras! lol

i can only get the displayoffimages to load up -- startup images won't go in --

-- perhaps the total file size is 10mb?

very frustrating.

okay -- just got the startup and displayoff to upload --

i think the max of all pics is 10mb, not each, as the manual says.

anyway, victory!

omg - the resolution is pathetic --

-- it looks like a vic-20 display --

-- disappointing.

this is why folks with rovers secretly think they're driving better vehicles -- the irrelevant details.

OK. This is REALLY ticking me off. I feel like I'm doing everything right, but my 15 LC is not finding the pics on my usb thumb drive.

- Under 10M total
- folders named correctly and case specific
- 2 graphics in one folder, 1 in the other. None are over 4M
- 2GB Lexar usb stick, formatted fat 16
- Only the 2 expected folders on the drive
- .JPG extension
- Mac

Any suggestions?

OK. This is REALLY ticking me off. I feel like I'm doing everything right, but my 15 LC is not finding the pics on my usb thumb drive.

- Under 10M total
- folders named correctly and case specific
- 2 graphics in one folder, 1 in the other. None are over 4M
- 2GB Lexar usb stick, formatted fat 16
- Only the 2 expected folders on the drive
- .JPG extension
- Mac

Any suggestions?
I've never been able to get this to work on my Land Cruiser or previous LX570. My wife's Highlander Hybrid? Took all of 5 seconds to set up and she loves having a couple of happy faces pop up on the screen when she starts up her car. I too was a bit cranky about not getting it to work on the LC but finally just gave up.

The trick is you have to make a StartupImage folder and a DisplayOffImage folder. Then put your JPEG photo in those files. That’s the way it’ll recognize the photos and upload them.

I struggled with this initially since I was using a Mac to save the images to the USB stick. Moved to a PC and it all went smoothly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom