Upgrading the brakes on 2010 GX 460?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rotors are about toast. Instead of getting them turned or trying to investigate any other problems that could be an issue, I’m thinking of upgrading. Is it worth it? I’ve been recommended EBC which seem high (for me) I’m all about buying quality, but is it that much better than oem or other brands? I don’t take the thing to the race track so Some of the selling points for EBC don’t really attract me. Unless I’m looking at it wrong. I do take my gx on sketchy trails (black bear, Imogene, etc) so more braking power does ease my mind some.

Alright now that I’ve rambled on nonsensically, is it worth the upgrade, or should I just do oem?

Also, what alternatives would y’all recommend if I do choose to upgrade

Last edited:
I also found this on the EBM website:
Page 254, item 26
ABCE
Make & ModelFMSI USA D#Ultimax Pad, setGreenstuff StreetRedstuff Fast Street of 7000 Heaavy Duty GreenYellowstuff Race or Truck & Suv PerformanceOrandstuff Extra Duty Truck & SUV PadsRotorRK Series OEM ReplacementD SeriesUS R SeriesBSD SeriesRotor Diameter Inches
GX460 2010 and upD976UD976DP61657DP71657DP41657RED916575758YesYesYesYes13.3"

My rotors are about toast. Instead of getting them turned or trying to investigate any other problems that could be an issue, I’m thinking of upgrading. Is it worth it? I’ve been recommended EBC which seem high (for me) I’m all about buying quality, but is it that much better than oem or other brands? I don’t take the thing to the race track so Some of the selling points for EBC don’t really attract me. Unless I’m looking at it wrong. I do take my gx on sketchy trails (black bear, Imogene, etc) so more braking power does ease my mind some.

Alright now that I’ve rambled on nonsensically, is it worth the upgrade, or should I just do oem?

Also, what alternatives would y’all recommend if I do choose to upgrade

aspencer4347, how are you defining "better" brakes? Are you looking for something that won't overheat? Something that will give you more stopping power? Better brake modulation? Hardware that is more durable and has a longer life? Keep in mind that you rarely get something for nothing--any improvement in performance may come at a price (brake squeal, brake dust, accelerated rotor wear, or just plain $$$).

Personally, I feel like my current brakes (OEM) don't give enough initial bite, and they don't start to really slow the vehicle until I put a lot of pedal pressure in. However, I'm used to driving vehicles that 3000 lbs, not 5000 lbs, so I may need to reset my expectations.

If you want to upgrade rotors, I agree with those on CL who said that drilled rotors may end up cracking. I've used slotted rotors on previous vehicles without any signs of cracks in the rotors and would probably look for something similar when it's time to replace the rotors on the GX.

One other point to consider with brakes that few ever consider. Above and beyond the added weight that some of us have added to our rigs e.g. bumpers, winch, dual batteries, roof top tent, (and the list goes on), etc. We, including myself also increase tire size. Now this is the part that many don't consider. Increasing the tire size has several effects on braking:
Additional rotating mass. (Try picking up an 35" tire and then a stock size...)
Additional leverage. The larger the tire, the more leverage there is against the breaks. Consider the leverage of a factory tire (265/60-18") with an overall diameter of 30.5". Now the tires I currently have on my rig: (285/75-17") 33.5" diameter.

To explain the let's do a little simple math:
Factory tire: 30.5/2 = 15.25"
Current tire: 33.5/2 = 16.75"
16.75 - 15.25 = 1.5" longer leverage on my current tire.
1.5/.1525 = 9.84% (almost 10%!) more your brakes have to work to stop the same distance.

So, in short when I get some discretionary funds, I plan on upgrading my rotors and pads. I also use my gears when going down long grades rather than riding the brakes.

Just something to consider, my friends. :)

thanks for all the input guys. I have decided to upgrade. to answer " what do you mean by upgrading?" I want more stopping power. I have felt the lack of power over the past couple of years with adding a lift and bigger tires and traveling the country with a bunch of gear with grown men on steep mountain terrain. Has anyone upgraded to EBC or stop tech. this is really the first time I have dealt with this type of upgrade as this is my first "real" build. So, if anyone has gone to any aftermarket brakes, let me know what you went with and if you saw a real improvement. PFA

IMG_1279.JPG

I replaced oem with ebc yellow stuff front and rear on old oem rotors. Feels like stopping power increased maybe...50%. My old oem pads did not need replacement yet but they performed so poorly I had to replace them early. Doesn't completely solve the problem with the GX's need for abnormally higher brake pedal pressure to get it to engage though. It has helped with the creep problem at stoplights a little. Pads squealed for a long time after replacement which was very annoying.

I’ve finely made up my mind and I went with EBC rotors and pads. Do y’all think I should go ahead and upgrade calipers? I don’t really want to spend the money right now but if I’m already diving into the brakes is it worth it to do a full overhaul? My gx has 160k on the clock if that helps.

Looks like I should replace my OEM pads and rotors, I really dislike the feel of the OEM brakes and the tendency to "creep" when you don't push with firmer pressure than what I'm used to from all the other vehicles I've ever driven and owned.

I modified my OEM brakes how is possible.
Fabricate new custom all 10 PC's pistons, made from titanium. Piston titanium less heat brake fluid. And also increased the slots in the protective shields for better cooling. Also made a dynamic airflow. New hoses with stainless steel protection. New brake fluid TRW DOT 5.1 ESP
Now brakes 🔥🔥🔥

726104bd-c06b-43d3-a936-6990a17aa0a4.jpeg

7e1f69ed-16a0-4e7c-ae44-f3a2f2991a5d.jpeg

9cfbfe9d-5aea-4423-926d-9204a4470394.jpeg

6d54f3df-e059-49b2-98d4-ce3ca915d652.jpeg

I just did the EBC yellows front and rear with the basic EBC rotor and it is a dramatic difference in stopping ability.

I’ve finely made up my mind and I went with EBC rotors and pads. Do y’all think I should go ahead and upgrade calipers? I don’t really want to spend the money right now but if I’m already diving into the brakes is it worth it to do a full overhaul? My gx has 160k on the clock if that helps.

aspencer, what are your options for upgrading the calipers? Is there another Lexus caliper that is a direct replacement for our stock ones? Or were you going to go with an aftermarket option?

I modified my OEM brakes how is possible.
Fabricate new custom all 10 PC's pistons, made from titanium. Piston titanium less heat brake fluid. And also increased the slots in the protective shields for better cooling. Also made a dynamic airflow. New hoses with stainless steel protection. New brake fluid TRW DOT 5.1 ESP
Now brakes 🔥🔥🔥

zhs, that's an ambitious project! Are you using the stock calipers with stock seals for the new pistons? Would you mind providing more information about what you did?

Looks like I should replace my OEM pads and rotors, I really dislike the feel of the OEM brakes and the tendency to "creep" when you don't push with firmer pressure than what I'm used to from all the other vehicles I've ever driven and owned.

100% agree. I have a steep driveway and every time i back out of my garage i get that creep

zhs, that's an ambitious project! Are you using the stock calipers with stock seals for the new pistons? Would you mind providing more information about what you did?

OEM calipers front & aft side.
New OEM set of gaskets, rings & seals.
New castom titanium pistons.
Оnly for isolation of brake fluid from high temperatures obtained during extrimal using braking. And anti corrosion 😉
New brake fluid TRW DOT 5.1 ESP.
This brake fluid more liquid than OEM TOYOTA DOT5.1
For isolation brake fluid from high temps enough castom titanium heat shields.
Also increased the intake of cooling air & dynamic airflow. Which is used on many European sports cars.
Brake rotors STOPTECH , brake pads Hawk LTS.
But next my combo rotors and pads - potors Brembo and brake pads Galfer. only much cheaper for me ( I'm from Odessa, Ukraine and
shipping from US is very expensive )
and the same effect.
But only combo Brembo with Galfer😉

36fdfe5s-960-1.jpg

6bfdfe5s-960.jpg

WgAAAgP7BOA-960.jpg

IMG_20190305_190641.jpg

IMG_20190305_190653.jpg

Coincidentally, I stumbled upon this brake kit for the GX 460 today.

Only brake calipers!?

Оn our GX460 the problem is the brake disc. Its small size and thickness. Brake disk cannot take in all the heat energy released during intensive braking.
Or do dynamic cooling of the brake discs or increase the diameter and thickness of the brake disc. And here is already a high price for brake upgrade kit

I don't know much about this brake kit, as I haven't convinced myself that it is worth it to spend the money to upgrade the calipers. However, the web site does say that the new calipers allow you to use thicker discs, which will help with heat dissipation. From my experience, aftermarket brake calipers are always expensive because of the engineering, development, and testing involved. Brakes are a safety item, so I would hope a manufacturer conducts sufficient lifetime testing prior to release to the public.

I would be interested to see if calipers from an LX570 would be an upgrade over ours, as they would fit a larger-diameter brake rotor. Unfortunately, they may also necessitate an 18" wheel to provide sufficient clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom