Upgrade time: Dual Battery, Solar, Drawers and Air Install - Component advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does that really work? I've tried similar in the past to charge a camper battery and it seemed to take a very long time to recharge.
Yes but you need to bring the engine off of ideal up to like 1500 rpm for the alternator to reach max output. We charge boat battery this way on race boats all the time.

Yes but you need to bring the engine off of ideal up to like 1500 rpm for the alternator to reach max output. We charge boat battery this way on race boats all the time.
That is where I failed - tried to do it at idle. I'll try this next time. Thanks.

Careful. The XP series does not have a built in BMS. As far as I know those are no longer made so is this a used battery?
good point, didn't even notice that. Either way yeah i saw the same result, didn't look like it was made anymore. If I were to go the lithium route I'd most likely go with BattleBorn or one of the other big players with a solid reputation like Relion.

Todd at SnoMaster recomended this place in Ohio. He said not the cheapest, but the owner is an electrical engineer and picks up the phone to offer support which is big.
Side note, Todd at Snomaster in TX is an incredibly helpful fella well. Top-notch customer service, and same, answers the phone.

Last edited:
Careful. The XP series does not have a built in BMS. As far as I know those are no longer made so is this a used battery?

What is bms?

I would need to go look at the model .. I do know it is a Valence. They use them on the medical carts with the life saving gear. I have not seen BattleBorn on a medical cart ever.

Does Battle born has this BMS ?

The Valence I have has battery management system and those black leads to connect to the battery management system controller. and that blinking LED light. Is That what you are talking about?

These cost more that Battle born if going off list price.

I do thing the battle born are great batteries .. but I have never seen them on life saving medical carts or seen and battery management connectors built into them.? Just saying.

The XP series are used in electric trucks in large arrays and are designed to be used with an external BMS (battery management system). The black cables are CAN bus communication cables to interface with the sensor board inside the battery.

The RT series are smaller and used on medical carts. They DO have an internal BMS and are completely self contained.

Nothing at all wrong with these batteries, they are high quality. They are several years old by now and would be reduced capacity. If the price is right go for it.

Most if not all of the drop in replacement LFP batteries (Battleborn, etc) have a built in BMS.

I was considering using two of the RT series batteries in my truck, but decided to go another route and sold the batteries.

IMAG4316.jpg

Thanks for that clarification. I went and took a look and I have both, plus some extra's laying around.

Thanks for Matt's contact info, I'll reach out today. I've also always got great advice from Rob, so I'd trust his opinion as well. Did a lil snooping around the ol interweb and think i found that very distinctive 200 build. Looks like the base was a @Eric Sarjeant build for @RumDoodle

@RumDoodle can you weigh in on your Drifta buying experience if this is your truck?
Yes Matt was great to work with. I had a few last minute changes (switched side of fridge) and he was quick to respond and keep me updated on progress. I like the setup a year or so in. I wish I could find the marine stainless spring loaded hardware lay flat tie downs they used so I could properly secure one of my kennels. All the alternatives I’ve found are too large, not lay flat, or not spring loaded ( prevent rattle).

Yes Matt was great to work with. I had a few last minute changes (switched side of fridge) and he was quick to respond and keep me updated on progress. I like the setup a year or so in. I wish I could find the marine stainless spring loaded hardware lay flat tie downs they used so I could properly secure one of my kennels. All the alternatives I’ve found are too large, not lay flat, or not spring loaded ( prevent rattle).
Thanks for the feedback. Wish I had the time to wait, they really look like exactly what I’d want. Definitely more delay in the whole global distribution chain right now. I ended up ordering the Dobinson’s instead. Good bang for my buck and they had in stock. The tie downs sound awesome, let me know if you do find out I could use those for my kennel as well

Added the fuse to increase alternator charge voltage (now that i have solar, may remove)

Can you elaborate on this or point me to a thread that discusses it? I also have a larger Optima battery in place of the OEM battery, but no solar.

I've read that the OEM alternator may not provide sufficient voltage for charging AGM batteries.

Can you elaborate on this or point me to a thread that discusses it? I also have a larger Optima battery in place of the OEM battery, but no solar.

I've read that the OEM alternator may not provide sufficient voltage for charging AGM batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom