Upgrade my GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi friends, I’m new to this forum and am looking for tips in upgrading my 2005 Lexus GX470. I’m interested in getting 2 inch spacers in the front, method rims, bf Goodrich ko2 tires, running board delete and replacing them with rock guards/ sliders. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome!

Do some searching and reading and you will find plenty of information about everything you’re interested in. Good luck!

Welcome,
I'd say take some time, figure out what exactly you want out of your build (overlander, weekend warrior, rock crawler, etc) look though some build threads, and then ask away. Not trying to sound rude, just that it's hard to give recommendations if we don't know what you want from your build. if you know already SWEET! let us know. are you a DIY or having a shop install? do you weld or no? (particularly important in regards to sliders)

Hello! I just bought my GX about 2 months ago so I went through basically everything you just asked about.

What is your end goal? Rock crawling, trails, over landing/camping?

You are spending money on good wheels and tires. If the spacers are temporary it's fine but you do risk causing damage to your shocks by limiting the travel. I would wait and save up to buy a suspension lift kit if you are going to do any of the above activities. You would be able to do some trails with the wheels and tires in stock form.

You may not be able to install your ko2's if it's bigger than 265/70/17 without a lift. So some things may have to go in a specific order.

I bought my method wheels and atw3's 265/70/17 first, but I knew I didn't want to go bigger than that. I bought RRW sliders because I got them for a really good deal and they were local pick up so I saved about $300-400 compared to the average market price. Lastly, I just picked up an Ironman 4x4 suspension kit with a 2" lift. I did factor in at this time that I wasn't going to add any additional weight i.e. steel front or rear bumpers etc so I knew the spring rates I wanted.

With the sliders, I would go with a reputable company. The price will more than likely reflect how well they fit and perform. Think about if you want DOM tubing (stronger) or HREW (not as strong but cheaper) I was not aware of this at first.

Everything I did above was based on cost/value. I was able to get some deals here and there but it's usually the limiting factor for the majority of people.

Welcome,
I'd say take some time, figure out what exactly you want out of your build (overlander, weekend warrior, rock crawler, etc) look though some build threads, and then ask away. Not trying to sound rude, just that it's hard to give recommendations if we don't know what you want from your build. if you know already SWEET! let us know. are you a DIY or having a shop install? do you weld or no? (particularly important in regards to sliders)
Thank you for the feedback. I’m looking to use this truck as an overlander. It’s my daily driver also and I don’t want to abuse it too much. I plan on having a local shop do all the installs because I don’t have the tools or knowledge.

Hello! I just bought my GX about 2 months ago so I went through basically everything you just asked about.

What is your end goal? Rock crawling, trails, over landing/camping?

You are spending money on good wheels and tires. If the spacers are temporary it's fine but you do risk causing damage to your shocks by limiting the travel. I would wait and save up to buy a suspension lift kit if you are going to do any of the above activities. You would be able to do some trails with the wheels and tires in stock form.

You may not be able to install your ko2's if it's bigger than 265/70/17 without a lift. So some things may have to go in a specific order.

I bought my method wheels and atw3's 265/70/17 first, but I knew I didn't want to go bigger than that. I bought RRW sliders because I got them for a really good deal and they were local pick up so I saved about $300-400 compared to the average market price. Lastly, I just picked up an Ironman 4x4 suspension kit with a 2" lift. I did factor in at this time that I wasn't going to add any additional weight i.e. steel front or rear bumpers etc so I knew the spring rates I wanted.

With the sliders, I would go with a reputable company. The price will more than likely reflect how well they fit and perform. Think about if you want DOM tubing (stronger) or HREW (not as strong but cheaper) I was not aware of this at first.

Everything I did above was based on cost/value. I was able to get some deals here and there but it's usually the limiting factor for the majority of people.
Hey there I plan on using this truck as an overlander. I want to do this right from the beginning so if getting a suspension and lift kit is the way to go then I will go that route instead of just the spacers in the front. I want good sliders that won’t bend and can withstand punishment. I’m willing to get the stronger ones. I’ll continue doing my research and am appreciative of your advice. Thank you.

Honestly, these trucks are pretty capable in stock form especially with good tires. I would suggest not rushing into it, develop a plan and a REALISTIC budget first. bottom protection (sliders, skids, etc.) would be my suggestion before a lift and big tires. That way you can learn to drive the rig without being afraid you might damage a vital part underneath. Then evaluate and re-calibrate your plan accordingly. This plan will help you become a better driver offroad (assuming you are new to the passion). Just my $0.02

Honestly, these trucks are pretty capable in stock form especially with good tires. I would suggest not rushing into it, develop a plan and a REALISTIC budget first. bottom protection (sliders, skids, etc.) would be my suggestion before a lift and big tires. That way you can learn to drive the rig without being afraid you might damage a vital part underneath. Then evaluate and re-calibrate your plan accordingly. This plan will help you become a better driver offroad (assuming you are new to the passion). Just my $0.02
That’s a good suggestion because I am new to this and definitely don’t want to do any damage to the truck. The tires are getting worn down and I’ll need to be replacing them soon. Thank you

That’s a good suggestion because I am new to this and definitely don’t want to do any damage to the truck. The tires are getting worn down and I’ll need to be replacing them soon. Thank you
Fantastic article, it has a lot of the info that I’m looking for. Thank you for sharing this with me.

Also, another thought would be to look for other owners in your area and try to meet up with them and ride with them on some trails. Most of us are happy to take on an enthusiastic passenger and are eager to share our experiences.

If your tires are on their way out, perhaps you can find some take offs on CL or similar to get you through until you figure out your plan.

Thats a good idea. It would give me an idea for how other trucks feel with different set ups and components. Craigslist is great for finding take offs. I just moved to Arizona and there is a big off road scene here. I’ll search craigslist for any postings.

Thats a good idea. It would give me an idea for how other trucks feel with different set ups and components. Craigslist is great for finding take offs. I just moved to Arizona and there is a big off road scene here. I’ll search craigslist for any postings.
go join GXOR on Facebook and post up I'm sure they'll be quite a few in your area. also there's a Owner map in the sticky section of this subforum... add yourself and maybe even find a couple close to you and send them a message.

2 years on now...how has it gone? what kind of mods have you done?

we live in Chandler and are looking to purchase a GX ourselves right now. Have you ended up finding any local GX groups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom