Upgrade in the fleet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
I bought my '11 LC last May with 108K miles, and I love love love the thing now. But, for the past few months I've been thinking I wished I had bought something a little newer and with fewer miles. I did a thorough baseline on it over last Summer, and now I'm starting on making more permanent mods, stuff that will be harder to remove when I want to upgrade eventually. So about a month ago I started casually scanning the ads for a '13-15 with low miles (<60K). Everything within a decent drive (<150 miles) was either black (no thanks) or too many miles, or too rusty. Went to look at a '15 last week in Boston that only has 37K miles at a dealer, wow those guys were jerks, and the truck wasn't right.

Was eyeing a sweet looking white '15 all the way down in CT, but couldn't get a whole day for the trip. Finally got yesterday free, so I made the trip. Made the deal, drove it home last night. WOW what a difference.

Before:
IMG_20180323_101317.jpg

After:
IMG_20180324_133136.jpg

Truck was a trade-in at a BMW dealer in Greenwich CT. 45K miles, very pampered. I knew things were gonna go well when I popped open the left tailgate storage cubby and found 4 wireless headsets, still in the original bubble wrap:
IMG_20180324_105831.jpg

The rest of the truck was just as nice. They were super nice, had already sent me over a dozen photos of the undercarraige, very little rust underneath, nothing of concern. I asked about putting it up on a lift so I could check the KDSS bleeders, but it was gonna be a long wait, so I did it in the parking lot, and they popped right loose, no problem. Also checked the recirc damper, cycled the 4LO and CDL actuators, even popped in my ODB-II reader to check for codes, none found.

Best part, as you probably see:
IMG_20180324_133159.jpg

Yes, a fresh set of TRD RW wheels that are pristine, not a scratch. The 285/70R17 KO2's are also almost new, I measure 14/32" of tread depth (15 is new spec). Unfortunately, they did not change out the spare, so I need one more RW rim, in case any of your hoarders can spare one. The spare on the truck now has never been lowered, still has the whiskers. I'm not crazy about the splined lug nuts, and if I have a flat I think I'm gonna be screwed, since I don't think these lug nuts work with the OEM rims? Yes, no?

The truck also has this weird aftermarket remote system:
IMG_20180324_132424.jpg

Not sure if I'm gonna use it much, but I will say the range is impressive. MUCH more than the factory remote for locking/unlocking and remote start. The fob also receives feedback from the truck, tells it if the locks did lock, or if the engine actually started. However, just like the OEM remote, as soon as you open a door, the engine quits.

So excited. I just wanna keep driving it. For some reason it feels much quieter and smoother than my older one, but probably because my wallet is a lot lighter now.

Incidentally, this entire place was obviously a very wealthy area. In one short section of Rt 1, there was a Rolls Royce, Bentley, Masarati, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Mercedes, AMG, and even a McLaren dealer right across the street. I have never even seen a McLaren in person, and there were at least 6 of them sitting in the front lot to stare at (not including the ones inside).

IMG_20180323_180256.jpg

The sales guy took me on a long tour of the area when we were doing the test drive, the real estate out there was crazy.

I bought my '11 at a Land Rover dealer, and this '15 at a BMW dealer, and both were very pleasant, professional, no pressure experiences. Never had that happen at a Toyota dealer, they have all sucked so far. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Good story. Like you I just picked up a low mileage (CPO) white 2015. Nothing but praise for this rig. Enjoy!

I traded the '11 for this '15. Never kept a vehicle for this short of time, I'm usually into them for a long time.

What I didn't realize until I got there was the PO had also removed the running boards, which is a problem as my wife really needs them to get in and out. Trying to source a pair of takeoffs for now, will probably do a set of BudBuilt sliders eventually.

Nice score - especially with the RW wheels. I am still looking for a set for mine.

Enjoy!

I traded the '11 for this '15. Never kept a vehicle for this short of time, I'm usually into them for a long time.

What I didn't realize until I got there was the PO had also removed the running boards, which is a problem as my wife really needs them to get in and out. Trying to source a pair of takeoffs for now, will probably do a set of BudBuilt sliders eventually.

That's great! I like it a lot and think you made the right choice. I'm usually not a huge fan of RWs on a white rig, but those look sharp. Congrats!

I'm not a fan of the chrome on the doors, might look at a wrap on those in mattte black.

Also, the dealer gave me this schwag as a parting gift, I'll never use them. Anybody want them?
IMG_20180325_104627.jpg

Congrats!

I eyed this LC for about 2 weeks while I tried to move on 2 different other ones across the country (neither worked out). It was just at the top of my budget, and didn't want to waste their time if I was uncomfortable with the number. Glad someone on here got it.

Nice! Looks like the dealership has your 2011 LC up on its website for sale. They don't mess around!

Nice! Looks like the dealership has your 2011 LC up on its website for sale. They don't mess around!

Huh, look at that, yup that is my old truck. I will be scanning and emailing the salesman all the service records and receipts so they can pass them on to the next owner.

2011 Used Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr 4WD at BMW of Greenwich Serving Rye, NY, Stamford & Greenwich, CT, IID 17479271

If anybody here is interested in this truck, please get in touch, I'll fill you in on the history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom