UPDATE: Shackle Lift Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Go ahead and bust my balls. I have a 1989 FJ62. I'm wanting to lift it 1 or 2" I don't take it off road ever I'm running 31s. Are there shackles out there that will lift it the amount I want? If so post pics of it lifted with 31s

Screenshot_20211015-061456_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
do it. 1.5" isn't that much. spring for the greaseable shackles. good idea to replace the bushings while you're in there.

Go ahead and bust my balls. I have a 1989 FJ62. I'm wanting to lift it 1 or 2" I don't take it off road ever I'm running 31s. Are there shackles out there that will lift it the amount I want? If so post pics of it lifted with 31s

View attachment 2812867
These shackles will net .75" in the front an 1" rear lift. I have been thinking about these as well on my OME heavy/heavy set up.

I won't bust your balls - I did a shackle lift on my '87 and put slightly longer shackles on my '89 and they worked nicely for many years. As mentioned, all shackles will give half the lift of the actual shackle 'increase'.

All you are trying to avoid is a giant shackle lift, like you saw on some kid's Ford Maverick in high school (if you're old enough). Something cheesy like this:

Shackle.png

Longer shackles will just hasten the flattening of worn out springs. The bump stop ends up farther away so the spring gets overly bent on a hard hit.
Ideally, if the vehicle is lifted either with bigger springs or longer shackles, the bump stops all around should be lowered that distance too.
But if the springs are good, slightly longer shackles are ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom