For Sale Unique locked supercharged 96 FJ80 in PA SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Selling my 96 FJ80, it's quite the cool truck with a lot of neat equipment. Current mileage is appx 163K, clear PA title in hand. Bought this from fellow Mud member Todd Oldenburg last year, all of the mods were done by Todd. It's a neat color- the dark blue, I've only ever seen one other this color. Paint is good shape, only body rust is a very small spot starting on the tailgate. Had a small rust spot on the front of the hood but that was professionally repaired and the hood repainted. The truck never had a factory roof rack so there are no holes in the roof. I don't think the truck was ever wrecked, most of the body panels and stuff still have the stickers with the VIN on them. VIN is JT3HJ85J4T0127262.

Interior is in good shape, dash is nice, headliner nice. Seats in good condition. yes it has leather and the third row seats look like they've probably never been used. All doors shut properly. It has the Japanese market oh s*** bar on the passenger side of the dash. All glass is in good shape. All the windows go up and down, some slower than others. Electric door locks all work as they should. Seats are electric, too, and operate as they should. Todd replaced most of the interior lights with LED's. Power mirrors work properly. This truck has a power sunroof that I've never operated. Looks like the factory tool kit and jack are there too and may never have been used.

Todd did the TRD supercharger install himself, don't know what the mileage was at the time of install. Truck starts readily and runs well, doesn't leak a drop of any fluids anywhere. I did the pesky heater hose replacement with the blue hose and special clamps right after I bought the truck so that potential problem is eliminated. Engine sounds great and doesn't smoke at all.

Truck has factory e-lockers, and Todd added the center diff lock switch. Can't tell you if they work as I have never offroaded the truck or engaged the lockers since buying it. Todd did wheel the truck a few times and the lockers always worked for him. Truck has a full old Man Emu lift, rides nice and handles fine. Has recent major brake work- new calipers, pads, rotors, and master cylinder. In addition all the steel lines on the truck were professionally replaced, very neat job if I must say so. Parking brake does not work- looks like the pivots on the bellcranks are rusted tight and I never bothered to fix.

Truck has nice options, too, like the auxiliary gas tank. Has a module on the dash that shows fuel level in the aux tank and has the switch to,operate the pump to transfer fuel from aux tank to the main tank. There is a diverter inside the fuel filler door to allow you to fill either the main tank or aux tank. I've never used the auxiliray tank, frankly, in the 3000 miles or so that i've driven the truck I've been keeping the main tank topped off. The license plate holder is the Japanese market version which puts it on the driver side rather than in the middle of the tailgate.

Has a cool Ironpig offroad rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. Pivot for the tire carrier is greasable and swings easily. Tire carrier latches tight and does not rattle at all. Front bumper is from ARB, driving lights are in place but not hooked up. Warn winch works perfectly, I recently pulled several bushes out with it. Can't see what model it is, I was told it's a 12,000 pounder but don't know for sure. Has dual batteries, too, and the auxiliary battery is a new Interstate.

Stereo system is a nice DIN sized unit from a 2007 (I think) Camry, complete with Sirius radio and navigation. I have the owners manual for the stereo. I've never used the nav but use the Sirius radio all the time. The factory antenna does not raise, I guess it needs the cable replaced. The radio looks like it was made for this application.

All lights work fine, wipers work fine in fact the truck has pretty new OEM blades front and rear. Of course it has intermittent wipers. Windshield washers work not sure if there is a washer for the rear window. Heater works great AC is not at all cold. Might just need a charge I have never felt the need to look into it.

When I bought the truck it needed major exhaust system work and a set of tires. I bought and installed the Y-pipe and front cat, and second cat with pipe and installed them myself. They're Walker products and fit perfectly. When the resonator went bad I replaced it with a straight pipe. Tires are a new set (five tires) of BFG KO2 all terrains size LT315/75R16. They have appx 3000 miles on them and are mounted on the stock wheels. They hold air properly and look awesome on the truck. They were balanced with the powder packets and feel great except occasionally after sitting for a few weeks it takes a little time to get themn in balance.

Items that are not perfect: engine temp light comes on fifteen seconds or so after the truck is started. truck never runs hot but this light comes on and stays on. I was never worried about it. As mentioned before the antenna does not go up. Brake light comes on on rare occasion not sure why but it doesn't seem to mean anything as far as the brake function goes. For as clean and rust free as the body is there is a lot of scaling undernath on the frame and running gear. I didn't see anything that was cause for alarm but the scaling and rust is there. One of the attchment points for the (passenger side I think) lower control arm is rusty- I've seen this before. Rather than do a weld repair I was going to replace the front axle housing. I have a clean housing and a complete front end rebuild kit (knuckle bearings, wheel bearings, OEM gasket for the third member) just haven't got around to doing it. My FJ45 project has been taking up most of my cruiser time recently!

The resonator came apart while I was returning from a road trip and caused some problems. The heat that should have gone out that that point non-existent) resonator and tailpipe went up into the rear wheelwell and melted the rear wiring harness. I got a replacement harness from Jason at Cruiseryard and installed it. Everything works now. Surprisingly, I've been told that this has happened to others.

That's about all I can think of. I would strongly prefer to sell this truck to a fellow mudder who is close enought to be able to come and inspect personally and drive the truck to see how good it is. Looking for $10K. Best to email me shmukter@pa.metrocast.net.

001.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG

View attachment 1313277 View attachment 1313278 View attachment 1313279

Last edited:
I wouldn't pull a 40 on a trailer with an 80 but then again I ain't a big fan of towing anyway! Biggest complaint I've heard about towing with an 80 is brakes.

Don't know what inch lifts on it but it clears the 315's in all conditions.

i pulled a 40 on a flat bed trailer with my 80. nice and slowwwwww when i needed to stop for the 1st time. i nearly pooped my self. as it took a long long time to stop. Never again. very nice 80 here worth the asking price with all the goodies IMO.

Price drop from $10K to $9200. Had a deposit on the truck but the potential buyer backed out. had another PB cancel a visit to seee/drive the truck this past Saturday. The truck runs great.

Last edited:
Rust on the frame and axles is scaring off potential buyers. I am considering looking for a truck with a blown engine or some such problem and do a frame/axle swap with my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom