Unidentified Knob... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
and i don't mean me...

I took delivery of an '81 HJ47 this weekend and have no clue what the purpose is for the translucent green knob to the left of the instrument panel. Could someone please have a look and tell me what it's for? Is it the glow-plug indicator?

Thanks,

Steve
TheKnob.JPG

more importantly lets see the truck....this post nothing with out more pics...:)

It's not the glow plug indicator... That is the screen below the light switch on your right side.

My guess is that its a sedimenter warning light... or it could be a replacement front drive knob... does your transfer shift knob have a H4 setting? or just L and H?

K

It's not the glow plug indicator... That is the screen below the light switch on your right side.

My guess is that its a sedimenter warning light... or it could be a replacement front drive knob... does your transfer shift knob have a H4 setting? or just L and H?

K

thanks--btw, the glow plug indicator doesn't glow (but i'm pretty sure the gp's are working)... what is it that's lighting up back there that needs replacing?

there's a light labeled "filter" next to the hand throttle--is that for the sedimenter?

oh, and the transfer case has an H4 setting

-steve

can you look behind the dash to see what it is?

there's a light labeled "filter" next to the hand throttle--is that for the sedimenter?

Based on my experience with BJ series diesels, it's the sedimenter float warning light. It should come on when iginition is on and engine is not started. If it stays on, the sedimenter is full of water and should be drained, or (IIRC) it could also mean there is something amiss with the alternator (worn brushes usually).

glow plug indicator

hey there, on my canadian bj42 the glow plug indicator is a round screen about the size of a coin under the main light switch- left dash. when you turn your key backwards or push the glow switch on the dash this indicator will start to glow after about 10 seconds. there is a coil of wire in there that is heating up like a stove element. if yours isnt it has likely been bypassed as the system will still work without the indicator. i replaced mine after an "accident" blew it up. a nice guy in surrey gave me some of this wire he had and it works well. if you want it i will send it on for the cost of shipping which should be cheap.

pull it and see what happens, the only green knobs i have come across is for shutting all the power off for extended storage to prevent battery drain...
if there is a loud click when pulled then there you go... otherwise take a pic directly on the knob...

You have to love toyota... they split the 81 model year between the Dash panel style and the standard knobs drilled directly through the painted dash. In the later silver panel type... the sedimenter warning is the lowest of the three warning lights on the left of the wheel... In mine of couse, I got the silver dash, but no sedimenter...

;)

You have to love toyota... they split the 81 model year between the Dash panel style and the standard knobs drilled directly through the painted dash. In the later silver panel type... the sedimenter warning is the lowest of the three warning lights on the left of the wheel... In mine of couse, I got the silver dash, but no sedimenter...

;)

Uh, no, that's not in 1981 for the BJ series in Canada. The panel dash came out in 1983.

Is the green knob for afterburners?

Perhaps for "enviro mode" ?

pull it and see what happens, the only green knobs i have come across is for shutting all the power off for extended storage to prevent battery drain...
if there is a loud click when pulled then there you go... otherwise take a pic directly on the knob...

it pulls to a detent, no loud click, but there are a couple of wires coming off the back that dissappear behind the instrument panel. it looks to me like it has a broken lightbulb in it (the knob comes all the way off if pulled beyond it's travel)

here's a pic from straight on...

-steve
GreenButton.jpg

Doesnt even look Toyota to me. Its probably something it has accumated in its 25 year life span.
My guess is that it once ran some extra lighting;)

A) This truck is RHD witch makes it a non Canadian Spec. On these, more closely realted to JDM, vehicles, they recieved stuff earlier than the NA market. Also, toyota is known for using every last piece of every part they made until they moved to the new stuff. In that case they have a lot of 1981 world spec trucks with that silver dash but not the sedimeter (like mine). another example is the splines on NA 1974 trcks where they used all of the course spline shafts until they were gone and only them made the 4 speed with the fine spline output... Therefore we have three possible parts in the same year.

B) Toyota has three different sensors/warning lights on these trucks, again depending on what they actuallly installed. They have the standard Brake light, the Glow and the Filter (sedimneter light). Looks like you got one of the trucks with the old dash, but new fuel system (maybe came out sooner on the H series than the B series).

C) does anything happen to your truck if you try to turn/twist the knob?

HTH

A) This truck is RHD witch makes it a non Canadian Spec. On these, more closely realted to JDM, vehicles, they recieved stuff earlier than the NA market. Also, toyota is known for using every last piece of every part they made until they moved to the new stuff. In that case they have a lot of 1981 world spec trucks with that silver dash but not the sedimeter (like mine). another example is the splines on NA 1974 trcks where they used all of the course spline shafts until they were gone and only them made the 4 speed with the fine spline output... Therefore we have three possible parts in the same year.

B) Toyota has three different sensors/warning lights on these trucks, again depending on what they actuallly installed. They have the standard Brake light, the Glow and the Filter (sedimneter light). Looks like you got one of the trucks with the old dash, but new fuel system (maybe came out sooner on the H series than the B series).

C) does anything happen to your truck if you try to turn/twist the knob?

HTH

the filter light is to the right of the hand throttle--it comes on with the key and then goes off when started.

there's a screened hole beneath the headlight switch--i understand that's where the glow plug indicator is (but it doesn't ever glow)

the knob doesn't turn/twist, it just pulls out with a click (not a relay kind of click--a knob kind of click) and if i pull more, it comes off and gives access to the lightbulb inside

If it was Toyota I feel that it would be on the same level as the other switches not out of alignment.

I meant to mention that also.
If thats an oz spec vehicle they usually have a about 20 auxillary switches added by successive owners,yours has one so it must be low owner vehicle:D

looks like a bosch logo.

my guess would be for spotties. do you have aux. lights on it?

have you pulled/pushed it?

chase the wires, it's the only way to know for sure.

hth's
crusty

Doesnt even look Toyota to me. Its probably something it has accumated in its 25 year life span.
My guess is that it once ran some extra lighting;)

It was probably for some auxillary lights or some such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom