Underbody Spare Tire Cover / Protector (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AnyMal

no quema cuh
Threads
After being annoyed by my last spare getting marred underneath by crossmember pads etc i vowed to find an easy solution before remounting my new one.
Since i may rear carry the spare in the future, i wanted to make sure i didn't disfigure it this time.
It is $300 tire after all on a $400 wheel, and if i can do something about it i will.

So if you are crazy like me, this is a quick and easy solution for just about any size tire you may want to stuff down there that would otherwise fit un-modded.
It fits like a glove against the rear underbody spare form and just needs to be slightly guided onto the bracket mounted in the front so it seats flat.
All i did was make a 4" hole in the center and up it went. It does not cause the spare to protrude any more than normal.

I liked this solution because it has a nice built in lip to prevent slipping around and happened to be the perfect size and is not super unreasonable in price.
I couldn't find anything like it and its not exactly cheap but if you didn't want the additional lip/edge you could obviously just use sheet plastic or whatever weather / heat resistant material you wanted. This took me 5 mins to put on but at least a week of searching.

Heres the link to the product in hopes of saving your time if you are interested. I worked with them on the shipping.

Cheers and happy OCD!

IMG_0773.jpeg
IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

Before gouge was pretty prominent. Sacrificial cover should do the trick.

IMG_0295.jpeg

The astute amongst you might also notice the difference between the P and LT AT3.

Last edited:
where was the contact point? I was worried about that too and I cut a hole in the middle of one of those gym interlocking mats and padded between the wheel and the frame but wasn't exactly sure if I had covered the point of concern. i did worry if my solution would collect water or mud and cause issues too...

where was the contact point? I was worried about that too and I cut a hole in the middle of one of those gym interlocking mats and padded between the wheel and the frame but wasn't exactly sure if I had covered the point of concern. i did worry if my solution would collect water or mud and cause issues too...

There were multiple.
Theoretically, and i don't remember myself, those bumper pads (the round induced defects) should interface with the OEM wheel face.
With these fitments thats all rubber where it wouldn't otherwise be.

I believe after that its the support bar / brace? on the rear subframe towards bumper.
It crosses against rubber again but i think that was the case on OE package as well.
My memory of those is not all there though.
Stock set went off the truck fast and the spare wasn't new either so i didn't much pay attention before they all got sold.

This cover is fully non absorbant, another reason i didnt want to do matting / felt. Plus its already disc shaped so i dont have to break out the arts n crafts box.

There were multiple.
Theoretically, and i don't remember myself, those bumper pads (the round induced defects) should interface with the OEM wheel face.
With these fitments thats all rubber where it wouldn't otherwise be.

I believe after that its the support bar / brace? on the rear subframe towards bumper.
It crosses against rubber again but i think that was the case on OE package as well.
My memory of those is not all there though.
Stock set went off the truck fast and the spare wasn't new either so i didn't much pay attention before they all got sold.

This cover is fully non absorbant, another reason i didnt want to do matting / felt. Plus its already disc shaped so i dont have to break out the arts n crafts box.
How is this holding up for you? I like this simple solution to protecting my 5th RW

After being annoyed by my last spare getting marred underneath by crossmember pads etc i vowed to find an easy solution before remounting my new one.
Since i may rear carry the spare in the future, i wanted to make sure i didn't disfigure it this time.
It is $300 tire after all on a $400 wheel, and if i can do something about it i will.

So if you are crazy like me, this is a quick and easy solution for just about any size tire you may want to stuff down there that would otherwise fit un-modded.
It fits like a glove against the rear underbody spare form and just needs to be slightly guided onto the bracket mounted in the front so it seats flat.
All i did was make a 4" hole in the center and up it went. It does not cause the spare to protrude any more than normal.

I liked this solution because it has a nice built in lip to prevent slipping around and happened to be the perfect size and is not super unreasonable in price.
I couldn't find anything like it and its not exactly cheap but if you didn't want the additional lip/edge you could obviously just use sheet plastic or whatever weather / heat resistant material you wanted. This took me 5 mins to put on but at least a week of searching.

Heres the link to the product in hopes of saving your time if you are interested. I worked with them on the shipping.

Cheers and happy OCD!

View attachment 2842354View attachment 2842355
View attachment 2842356

Before gouge was pretty prominent. Sacrificial cover should do the trick.

View attachment 2842380

The astute amongst you might also notice the difference between the P and LT AT3.
How is this working out for you?
Tbh when i was searching for protection of spare i was actually looking for a skid like to protect the part of the spare exposed to the ground in the even that it got caught on a rock, branch, etc. Never thought i had to worry about top part that attaches to the frame.

Thanks!

How is this working out for you?
Tbh when i was searching for protection of spare i was actually looking for a skid like to protect the part of the spare exposed to the ground in the even that it got caught on a rock, branch, etc. Never thought i had to worry about top part that attaches to the frame.

Thanks!

Works great still. Spare unharmed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom