Unable to pump at Gas station (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
Tried 3 pumps at the gas station and the nozzle just clicked after about 0.2 gallons. At another gas station I had better luck, but I had to almost had to massage the fuel in. Maybe this is a symptom of a bad cannister? I do have some whooshing for a few seconds and can smell gas sometimes in my garage, but not much. It was hot last weekend and I don't change altitude. I will report back If 'pumping' improves after I fit a VC120. Will repair the original cannister as per Phil in the meantime, and refit when ready.

Anyone else had and solved this issue?

try to gently squeeze the handle when pumping gas. sometimes if u squeeze too hard, it will give that ca chunk ca chunk sound like its full but its not

Tried 3 pumps at the gas station and the nozzle just clicked after about 0.2 gallons. At another gas station I had better luck, but I had to almost had to massage the fuel in. Maybe this is a symptom of a bad cannister? I do have some whooshing for a few seconds and can smell gas sometimes in my garage, but not much. It was hot last weekend and I don't change altitude. I will report back If 'pumping' improves after I fit a VC120. Will repair the original cannister as per Phil in the meantime, and refit when ready.

Anyone else had and solved this issue?
Does sound like symptoms of CC gone bad and need for a VC120. Hope to hear good news after swapping!

I had the same issues a lot prior to replacing my canister with the VC120, especially at higher elevations. I'm sure the new canister will solve this.

Same experience as @jcardona1
Could barely get gas in at altitude, after new canister all is well.

It could also be a particular gas station that has their pump pressure high, and their handles set on sensitive.

I recently was driving a 2020 Dodge Ram Rebel and when I stopped for fuel, I had a QT and some other station that I had to trickle in the gas or it would kick off. I had no problems at other stations and I drive this truck for 6 weeks and 5000 miles. It took me 20 minutes to fill a 25 gallon tank. If it wasn't for being on the road with few gas stations between, I would have put in only enough to get to the next one because it was so frustrating.

I've never encountered that before.

Great feedback. Sounds like I may be on the right track.

Lp2k - yes I tried everything, these particular pumps were not playing at all. Different pressures, angles, in deep, on filler circumference. Gentle squeezing is how i managed to get the less sensitive second gas station pump to work.

BILT4ME. First time for me too!

I've found with several vehicles (several makes and models at different stations) that the curve of the filler nozzle puts the tip too close to the vehicle's filler neck, causing it to trip the nozzle safety shut-off.

I agree the CC is likely the culprit.

A trick I learned from refueling boats (common complaint/issue) is to rotate the filler handle about 75-90 degrees from the bottom, on either side, which "tricks" the nozzle from the safety shut-off. It will still shut off when fuel hits the tip. But it won't have the blowback issue if it truly is an issue of angles.

None of the above is relevant for California vapor recapture nozzles, since those SOB's are finicky already.

Last edited:
You might also check to see that the internal portion of the fill tube has not partially collapsed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom