Ultimate cruiser drivetrain for the working class folks? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D 44 axles would not be an improvement over stock axles. A step up would be the D 60s.

Somebody claimed the 2F was more reliable than an SBC, and claimed 3yrs experience. I drove mine till '85. It had great torque and the extra heavy engine provided great traction int the snow. I plowed snow and delivered firewood for a living for 5yrs. I would not plow with an SBC. There is absulutely no other task I could ask my rig to perform that any of the SBC's I've had in it couldn't do better. Except one. Any F motor would make a better boat anchor.
All my SBCs were someone else's cast offs. Just the price of having an intake gasket replaced on my 2F cost more than a decent used SBC. The conversion is costly, but nothing like the cost of a serious repair to a 2F.
PS is a must.
Broken OEM trannys and cases are caused by operator error, not design flaws. SBC's don't break any more parts in or on them than F motors.
I quit busting ring and pinions when I learned about correct pinion angles. I ruined my 1st with a 2F.
Never broke a birf yet, but I've not locked up the front yet either. Don't use a lot of power when the steering is locked, especially in reverse.
Rear axels are awsome. I've pulled loads that permanently bent my main leafs with the same stock axels.
Front discs work terrific and rears would be nice I suppose, but there are much more important mods that the $$$ for RRdiscs could be spent on.
IMNSHO.

[quote author=78 One owner link=board=1;threadid=6988;start=msg58184#msg58184 date=1067811691]
Somebody claimed the 2F was more reliable than an SBC, and claimed 3yrs experience. I drove mine till '85. It had great torque and the extra heavy engine provided great traction int the snow. I plowed snow and delivered firewood for a living for 5yrs. I would not plow with an SBC. There is absulutely no other task I could ask my rig to perform that any of the SBC's I've had in it couldn't do better. Except one. Any F motor would make a better boat anchor.
All my SBCs were someone else's cast offs. Just the price of having an intake gasket replaced on my 2F cost more than a decent used SBC. The conversion is costly, but nothing like the cost of a serious repair to a 2F.
PS is a must.
Broken OEM trannys and cases are caused by operator error, not design flaws. SBC's don't break any more parts in or on them than F motors.
I quit busting ring and pinions when I learned about correct pinion angles. I ruined my 1st with a 2F.
Never broke a birf yet, but I've not locked up the front yet either. Don't use a lot of power when the steering is locked, especially in reverse.
Rear axels are awsome. I've pulled loads that permanently bent my main leafs with the same stock axels.
Front discs work terrific and rears would be nice I suppose, but there are much more important mods that the $$$ for RRdiscs could be spent on.
IMNSHO.
[/quote]

What are you saying here? Seems like you hate the F motor but I assume that as you advert has a 78 you would have a 2F?!

Of course there are situations where a SBC is better. I just dont find myself or most, if any, of my friends/customers in that same situation.

I did not see any word about reliability. Any motor is as reliable as any owner. Bottom line is that the F series has more low end torque than the SBC at a given RPM. You must rev higher to get the same torque. This places a lot of stress on parts. As a careful driver you seem fine. Not all are careful.

If the price of working on the F series motor is an issue I suggest you start working on your own truck. Sure SBC parts are cheaper but they break more often under stress. Nothing on the F series motor is much different than any chevy 6 produced for 40 years. if I had to pick an easy motor to work on it would be a Chevy/Toy 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom