u-joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im gettin a vibration at the top of second and the bottom of third... the u-joint is smoked after i drove around with a bad pinion angle...fixed that but messed up the u-joint...so how hard is it to put in a new u-joint?? do i need any speical tools. i rather do it myself than take it to a shop..but if it is better to take it a shop i will...i just want to get rid of that sweet clunk when i leave off the clutch pedal too quick or those bad vibs while im drivin.. thanks for the help :beer:
-al

Not too bad...hopefully you have a good bench vise...typically you do not need any special tools, they can be stubborn sometimes...

Good luck!

-Steve

nope no bench vise...any other ideas???

A big a** hammer and a 6pk of beer, some band aids, a torch, and some burn cream. Thats what I used. Hahaha

thanks for the link... i liked the work bench too :)

I've done them with a hammer and drift before because my bench vise isn't big enough once you get a socket or two in there with the shaft. No big deal, but I broke most of the old caps taking them out, which made me extra careful when installing the new ones.

The PO of my suburban apparently tried to do the same thing and ended up bending the yoke enough to cause a vibration from 55-65mph. So after I got that fixed, I was at Harbor Freight one day and their u-joint/ball joint/brake pin kit was on sale for $30 (normally $40). I bought it and I love it. Change u-joints in a couple minutes with virtually no swearing or injuries. It's basically a big C-clamp with different receiver cups (similar to the sockets you'd use if you had a big enough bench vise).

A lot of auto parts stores will rent the tools to you for cheap/free. Napa was free, but they wanted a $230 deposit that they would refund as long as you brought it back within a week. I can't even get DVD's back to Blockbuster in a week, so I bought my own. I was quoted $75 in labor to replace 2 u-joints.

Good luck,
Eric

thanks for the info e-rock ill look into what napa has... i hear ya on the returning deal. i left a video in my tape player for a month before i returned it :(

Tide:

Please do not use a hammer. It is the worst method to change a joint (uh u joint). You can severely damage your yoke by banging on it. The Harbor Freight tool is well worth it if it does the job. A press is the best method if you can get access to one. Pressed fittings are never meant to be beaten out or in. If you damage the ID even a little , it could cause the joint to lose its retainer clip and then your axle ends up either through your floor board or in the person's windshield behind you. Either get a press, kit or pay someone to do it.

ooooo scary....hmmm i think ill be getting that tool from napa now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom