U-bolts, how tight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

I am in the middle of putting on my sky jacker 4" kit on my 40 and was wondering how tight to torque the u bolts?

thanks

from haynes, 60 ft lb's

Make sure to do each side evenly. If you just sit there cranking on one side, it will twist/not sit flat

Torque them up as described by the previous replies, then do it again at least 2 more times.
Seems like the dang things stretch a bit with use.
I got a couple of turns on each after a few miles.I had new CCOT U-bolts and springs.
paul

initial torque, 80 ftlbs. after 1 week, retorque. one month later, re torque again....

I've read 60-80-100 for u-bolts....not honestly sure which is correct. I've made a habit of overtorqueing mine...heh

I asked a similar question when I did my 4" Skyjacker lift. In the end I went with 90 ft/lbs. As nothing stripped, I'm assuming that the nuts & bolts are happy with it. :)

As Woody stated, re-torque them repeatedly. After my installation, I drove about 5 miles, and the next morning I ended up putting several turns on each & every nut. Since then, I have re-torqued them at least 6 different times. One thing that I can say is that each time I get a little less movement before the torque wrench clicks.

if they are loose, you'll feel it. The car will kinda twist when you aply power, happened after like 4 miles of driving, retorqued and went away

from haynes, 60 ft lb's

I hate that book

minimum 80 ftlbs. I try to get them to 100. If it feels mushy at 80 on used ones replace them. you know, it is tight and you keep turning it, then it clicks.

yo its about 90-95ft lbs :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom