Tyres for FZJ80R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jonathan_Ferguson

★ is in the wrong locale
Threads
Website
jonathan-ferguson.tk
What is the largest diameter Tyres that will fit on 16x8 Mags?

Or should I go back to using the Original 16" Split Rims with 7.50 16 Tyres?

What is the least compromising Tyre for on and off Road use?

How good on road is the MT/R and Truxus MT compared to the Original 275/70 R16 Dunlop Grand Treks?

Ferg,
Check with the blokes on http://www.offroader.com.au/. Good mate runs that site. They can give ya better info for that particular terrain. Personally, I'd go with as wide as possible on the 8" rim. Over here, they call them redneck beadlocks when you put something like a 14.5" wide on the 8" :D ... not much chance of the tire coming off either by accident or intentional :eek:

For on/off - go MT/R. If you want a real tire, get a Swamper. :flipoff2: :D :D :D :D :D :D

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=2;threadid=4267;start=0#msg31886 date=1060744274]
So you actually know Steven Rowlandson? :eek: But did'nt you only join forum.offroad.au.com only a couple of days ago? ???
Should see my post: http://forum.offroad.au.com/viewtopic.php?t=153
[/quote]
LOL - yeah. Small world. I just joined under that name. I kinda move around so much I can never remember my other names ;). If he's smart, he'll deny it. :flipoff2:

Sorry for the dumb question but what's MT/R standard for?

Is that just a class of tire OR a specific brand/model?

Thanks

Benie,

MT/R generally means a specific Goodyear mud terrain tyre. The letters stand for Maximum Traction / Reinforced.

-B-

So is the MT/R a good all around tire? It would be nice to have something that's good off-road but not too noisey and also good in the rain. Here in BC we really get the rain.

Thanks -B-

Benie,

As you've probably noticed, a discussion on tyres can become quite emotional. You're approaching the decision correctly. Determine what your "normal" driving conditions will be, what percentage of driving is on and off road. Think about your off-road conditions. Think about the number of miles you expect from a tyre. Think about the ability to get a road hazard warranty that will cover you on and off road.

The GY MT/R's are an aggressive tyre with the following strong points:
* Excellent in the rocks
* Good in mud
* Good noise level considering the aggressive tread
* Good road hazard warranties are available from most dealers

The GY MT/R's have the following weak points:
* Approx 30k miles (rotating 4)
* Not very good in wet unless they are siped (Siping is highly recommended!)
* Noisier than street tyres
* Expensive in metric 16 inch sizes
* Limited sizes available to fit 16 in wheels

I've heard some say these tyres are excellent in snow and ice if siped. Those that routinely drive with MT/R's in those conditions would be a better source for advice.

-B-

These are the Tyres, I have on my BJ40 $155.00 each, Fitted and Balanced from the Importer/Distributor. :) Excellant Tyres, Only problem is: I don't think I'll get very good Milage(Lucky to get 50,000km). :(

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4267;start=msg32164#msg32164 date=1060839128]
The letters stand for Maximum Traction / Reinforced.[/quote]

Minimum Traction / Reallysux :flipoff2:

think swamper

Junkster,

I saw where you recommended that very tire not long ago :flipoff2: Oh, I did copy it off and save it cuz I knew you would deny it :D

Anybody have any thoughts on the Bridgestone Dueler AT tires?

I have them on my 60 and I've been pretty happy with them. They have sipes and are more suited to highway and limited off-road but probably good enough for my use. They are more aggresive than the Michelins that my new 80 has on it. I figure with the lockers I'll never get stuck. Off-roading mud is my main concern in my trails.

I'm not planning on replacing them yet but starting to do research now. More important is to get this thing lifted! Boy with those running boards, hitch and spare it's like a low rider.

Bernie-
Check out the review here of Interco's Trxus. It seems it may fit the bill for muddy roads and trails as well as ice and snow, as they are sipped. When my BFG A/Ts were out (not soon enough, they suck in mud) I'm going with these.

http://www.gis.net/~zacharer/jeep/reviews/trxusreview.html

Anybody have any thoughts on the Bridgestone Dueler AT tires?
LOL - dude, I wouldn't even make a tire swing out of those pos. :flipoff2:

Junkster, I saw where you recommended that very tire not long ago Oh, I did copy it off and save it cuz I knew you would deny it
That's BS Cdan. :flipoff2: :D Someone was obviously using a fake id when they got busted at yo mommas :urinate: :flipoff2: :D :D :D :D You know darn well, I deny everything. :D

Will LT315/75R16 fit with standard Suspension?
Or will LT305/70R16 or LT285/75R16?

LT285/75R16 D 122P OWL 7.5- 9.0 11.2 8 33 3,305 @ 65
LT305/70R16 D 8.0- 9.5 12.2 9 33 2,910 @ 50
LT315/75R16 D 121P OWL 8.0- 10.0 12.3 8.5 34.8 3,195 @ 50

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4267;start=msg32168#msg32168 date=1060841333]
The GY MT/R's have the following weak points:
* Approx 30k miles (rotating 4)
[/quote]

Robbie has 40k on his 315' and they have more than 1/3 left in tread. I have seen customers get 40k-50k on them. Not bad for a mudder.

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=4267;start=msg32168#msg32168 date=1060841333]

* Expensive in metric 16 inch sizes

[/quote]

Not any more than BFG. :D These prices are from Tire Rack

305/70/16 - BFG AT KO's $184, Goodyear AT/S - $139
305/70/16 - BFG MT $189, Goodyear MT/R - $175

* Limited sizes available to fit 16 in wheels
[/quote]

About the same as the other tires, except maybe for the 295 versions.

I've heard some say these tyres are excellent in snow and ice if siped. Those that routinely drive with MT/R's in those conditions would be a better source for advice.

[/quote]

I have the MT/R's an all the trucks we drive on the street. I had BFG MT's on my 100 series. They suck.

Christo (slighly bias to MT/R's) :flipoff2:

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=2;threadid=4267;start=msg34358#msg34358 date=1061633158]
Will LT315/75R16 fit with standard Suspension?
Or will LT305/70R16 or LT285/75R16?

[/quote]

There is fit then there is fit. See http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_35.htm

I only post this since we get this question a lot. And I believe in if you haven't tried it, then you can't comment on it. We have run a lot of difference combinations, not all, but a lot and we have a good idea what fits. That said, we in CO wheel our trucks, unlike those in the east that just have them in the garage with broken ARB parts ::) That is also why those SWAMPERS wear so good and never cut :D

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=4267;start=msg34377#msg34377 date=1061643921]
unlike those in the east that just have them in the garage with broken ARB parts ::) That is also why those SWAMPERS wear so good and never cut :D[/quote]

:flipoff2:
As Christo says, there is fit and there is fit. Last year when I wheeled with him I had 36's and he had 35's. His fit much better than mine. At the time, I had taken the cheapo way out by lowering bumpstops. Yes, we did the same trails, but you could just see his truck working it better than mine. Of course he's much more experienced than I am and knows a buttload more, but it was quite clear after that what was needed to make my tires fit right.

If you want 315's then do the suspension work first.

If you want 33's, then you can skate by with doing tires first, but it you wheel it hard, you may rip off your flares.

If you are going to do 35's, do yourself a huge favor and either do it right, or don't do it at all. Yes, this requires money, but otherwise you'll never be satisfied.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=4267;start=msg34387#msg34387 date=1061645222]
:flipoff2:
Last year when I wheeled with him I had 36's and he had 35's. [/quote]

So this year when you wheel with me, I have 40's so you should have 42's :D

PS, where is your truck posted for sale?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is if you lift your cruiser the axle housings shift over a little. Unless you install adjustable panhard rods to recenter the tire clearance could be a little different on one side from the other. $.02 worth.
Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom