Types of Wheeling in Pennsylvania (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering a move from CO to PA, and am a bit worried about missing out on some good four wheeling. I know almost nothing about PA, so I don't know what to expect. I am looking to move to Harrisburg, again, not knowing much at this point. What kind of four wheel driving can I expect in that area? What other outdoor activities are popular? Any good places to go on overnight backpacking trips?

well,
public land is relegated to the state forests which have no legal trails, only improved dirt roads.
There are areas to go get dirty, but nothing any of us would really call wheeling.

However, from H-burg Rausch Creek is RIGHT up I-81 and Paragon is just a bit farther!!!

GREAT wheeling there but you do have to pay a pittance to do it.

As for hiking, the Appalachian trail is pretty darn popular and there are a lot of beautiful places within reach.
You're going to be dissapointed in the mountins if your expecting Rockies though.... ours are MUCH older and.... well.... flatter

brian said:
if you enjoy angling they'res "the" river, most say it's the best smallie river on the east coast.
most places it's a mile wide and waist deep.

although most "experts" wouldn't give "the" river a #1 ranking on the east coast, I certainly would every day of the week (and I've regularly fished some of the more popular #1's)...

better yet!!!

there's the CRUISERFOLK!!!!!!!

(course... you find those everywhere :D)

I moved to Eastern PA from KY and here is what I can offer you:

great wheeling at the above listed parks

no "public lands" with a multi-use theme, it a lot of hunting

some of the best mountain biking I have ever done

great amounts of cruisers and enthusiasts

Harrisburg is quite central as the AT crosses the Susquehanna about 20 minutes north of H-burg

some of the best white water kayaking/rafting I have ever done..

HTH, let us know if you do make the move... and join us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom