Type of Warn Winch - ID ? And a little direction.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my 76 FJ40 about 7months a go .. been working on various things to get it tip top. Now I’m running into trying to get the winch working. I know there are some YouTube videos etc. that have people refurbishing theirs or rebuilding their‘s. I just wanna identify which one I have so that they can then move forward to start rebuilding I’m not sure if it just doesn’t work anymore or if there’s a new part I need I don’t know if I’m starting to open it up but I don’t wanna go any further until I know exactly what I should be doing. Thanks for any help

7C263C36-5C84-46A7-A6F9-FB187217183D.jpeg

D985C340-F4E5-4553-8E3F-6BC500411E0C.jpeg

136E053E-CCCF-407C-85ED-7D2ABAF17359.jpeg

1CC51002-76B5-4008-B9BB-A1B11592D9FC.jpeg

6F42CD46-645C-4F2A-98A7-00CCCD61856E.jpeg

8074 I think. Just like the 8274 except it doesn’t have a freespool knob.

Built sometime in mid to late 70s I guess by the style of the plug cover (metal).

Check this thread out:

You can still get parts for it at any authorized Warn distributor.

Still trying to figure out this model - definitely has all the 8274 aspects but no lever where there is one on the 8274

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As subzali said, this looks to be an WARN 8074, so there's no freespool, only power in and out.

The "2" in 8274 stands for "2-way" as in power in/out and freespool. (8 = capacity 2 = power in/out & freespool, 74 = year it was introduced).

- Andy

ahhhh I see - I just wanna get it working and I think best bet is to take it to a warn distributor but the problem is it’s attached to my car and I’m working on a couple other issues simultaneously so taking it off doesn’t sound fun at the moment.

The problem with the 8074 no freespool is that you can't pull the knob and freespool cable out, you have to power it out which is a lot slower and battery takes a hit as well...still a very good winch and will get the job done.

ahhh - well I dislike It already - would much rather have the freespool ... I already have too much battery drain from arb air locker system - and actual air compressor system - and then various random electrical power leakages from PO like old wires still connected that might go to nothing etc.

maybe I should think about a dual battery system - one for the "extras" and one for main car functions. just thinking out loud

ahhh - well I dislike It already - would much rather have the freespool ... I already have too much battery drain from arb air locker system - and actual air compressor system - and then various random electrical power leakages from PO like old wires still connected that might go to nothing etc.

maybe I should think about a dual battery system - one for the "extras" and one for main car functions. just thinking out loud

Or perhaps a larger-output alternator. I run a Mean Green on mine, but plan to go dual-batteries at some point also.

It seems I’ve seen or heard of folks buying the freespool pieces and drilling the hole in the case to install them.

Really? That’s interesting - I don’t think that’s in my realm of abilities but ultimately is like to get this one running and go from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom