TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Around here they tell you a week and it takes 3

I hope not. But, although I'm trying to stay optimistic, I wouldn't be surprised.

It's not easy to find suppliers etc that you can depend on time after time. Onur, George at Valley Hybrids and his partner Ward come to mind. Summit Racing has been beyond reproach on all my dealings with them. Their Tech department handled a starter issue on a crate motor that GM Performance could not. TGhese are folks that I place an order with and forget about it, because I know it is getting done.

The drive shaft company I use has a great rep, does great work and has not delivered on time yet. But I know that going in and half azz plan on it.

Last minute oil change before heading out to the Relic Run tomorrow super early.

Used a bottle of stp zinc addictive, 2 big jugs of rotella equaling 7.75L, and a napa version of the wix 51773 jumbo forklift oil filter

Glad I did that before the 2 hr drive, realized it's due.

Got a warn winch (thanks Johnny for the referral) and it has a massive 1/4" steel mounting plate that needs to come off. Top two bolts were open and came off easy. Bottom two - not so much.

Advice?
View attachment 1473949 View attachment 1473950

As I had guessed, they were just caps covering the bolts.

IMG_6669.JPG
IMG_6670.JPG

That was easy.

Something I don't say often in my garage.

Sexy new drive flanges

20170610_180752.jpg

20170611_123411.jpg

And the vibe?

And the vibe?

No report yet .... got it out of the garage and had to attend to family activities.

The in/out axle movement is still larger than FSM specs but is much better.

1/2 nylocs 1/2 regular? Purposeful?

Was hoping there were enough nylocks in the bolt bin, but no luck. It's making me "nuts" so the nylocks are coming off.

Another small non cruiser project, but fixed the leaky tranny pan on the lexus.

20170611_174132.jpg

20170611_184009.jpg

20170611_194027.jpg

20170611_202255.jpg

As I had guessed, they were just caps covering the bolts.

View attachment 1476760 View attachment 1476762

That was easy.

Something I don't say often in my garage.

Was thinking of you yesterday when I got mine home, had the same style fairlead and cap on one of them. They are what's called welch plugs, metal plugs that get hammered in place, usually to seal stuff like oil galleys in the rear of 2Fs, or coolant jackets, or other things. Very cool that they were used in this application as a way to secure the winch. I'm going to find the right size and use them again.

Anyone in RDU interested in guiding an idiot through drum brake/wheel cylinder rebuild one night this week or this weekend? It'd have to be at my house, food + refreshment provided.

Anyone in RDU interested in guiding an idiot through drum brake/wheel cylinder rebuild one night this week or this weekend? It'd have to be at my house, food + refreshment provided.

You're going to rebuild the wheel cylinder, not replace it? Depending on the specific day, I'm down. Send me a text.

You're going to rebuild the wheel cylinder, not replace it? Depending on the specific day, I'm down. Send me a text.

Yeah, rebuild all 4 on the front; would just like expert guidance on one... Let me get the parts and I'll text, thanks El Jefe!

Ideally we'd hone the wheel cylinders while it's apart. Look into getting a small bore honing tool as well.

Cleaned up and mounted the winch with the old fairlead for now. Works great in 'in' but not in 'out' mode. Click but no turn. Original cover is in great shape surprisingly. Probably won't use it tho.
IMG_6674.JPG
IMG_6677.JPG
IMG_6678.JPG

Dont you have any more stickers to fix this?!? Guess he never used it tonput boats in the water huh? Still a great score.

IMG_2411.PNG

Sent an email to the folks at warn. Apparently they'll send you a sticker kit if you ask nicely.

Yup. They are very good about that. Will send a one time decal kit if you are rebuilding/refurbishing an old warn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom