Two Solenoid Wiring Diagram (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up a used Champion Power Sports 18051 recovery winch, but found once the cover was removed that all of the wiring is disconnected and some possibly missing for the two solenoids that control the winch. Would anyone happen to have a wiring diagram that may help me to rewire this properly? Attached is a picture of the solenoid setup that I am dealing with. The three light gauge wires in the picture come from the plug for the wired remote controller. I tried contacting Champion, but they said that since they only sell the solenoids as a complete assembly that they do not have any wiring diagrams.

Winch Solenoids.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

The solenoids appear to be kinda 2 solenoids in one, so you effectively have 4 solenoids like most winches.

Anyhow, I'm guessing the wiring would essentially be the equivalent of ->

cheers,
george.

So I wired up the winch as per that diagram that you posted and it worked! Well, sort of. The solenoids click but the drum doesn't spin in either direction, so I'll have to put power straight to the motor to test it but I am suspecting that it'll need a couple of new solenoids. I wasn't able to test the operation of the winch when I got it, partially due to mechanical issues that I have now fixed and partly due to the lack of wiring. At least I feel like I'm making some progress with it anyway. Thanks again for the wiring diagram!

Bunch of us have spare solenoids, figure out how many you need by testing each.
Testing procedure below

So I tested the two solenoids as described in the above video, and even though they are a different style of solenoid when they are energized they test good according to the video, showing 0.00 ohms of resistance when power is applied. I had the motor apart not too long ago and had to repair one of the lugs that come out of the motor case because it had broken free from the thick copper braid inside the housing. I'll try testing the motor using jumper cables and a battery, but I have a feeling that I'm pulling the motor apart again. I had to disassemble the gearbox side of the winch as well to replace some broken parts. The manual lever to switch to free spool was frozen because of broken parts inside, along with tons of old, solid grease in all of the gears. I completely cleaned all of the old grease out and put new grease in as I reassembled it, and it switches freely to and from free spool with the drum turning easily in free spool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom