Two flywheel questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my flywheel ground and I'm not sure they ground the shoulder down.
I rebuild tranny and transfer and installed a new clutch and pressure plate.
I am not getting much power and thin the clutch is slipping. I've adjusted the clutch fork and pedal.

Question 1: If shoulder of flywheel was not ground down then would that prevent clutch from getting the pressure against the flywheel that it needs?

Second part; just hooked up a timing light and I'm no where close to the indication mark on flywheel. Vehicle runs and I can advance or retard by moving distributer just fine.

Question2: Is there a bolt pattern on flywheel that makes it such that it can only be installed one way? I'm wondering if I have it rotated 90-degrees or something in the way I installed it, which is why the timing mark does not show up.

Ok, I guess I have a third question.....does it matter? Can I somehow make my own timing mark and adjust off that? But how would I know where to make the mark? I am I stupid if I don't pull off flywheel and put in correctly and if so, how will I know where correctly is? (pull off top of engine, piston-1 at top, timing mark on pointer etc etc? UGH!:bang:

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't know what year 40 you have, but on my 76 and 79, the crankshaft has a big dowel that will only let the flywheel go onto the crank one way. Maybe you are just not seeing the marks on yours. Make sure you get the number 1 piston at the top of the compression stroke and check again.

If someone ground down the surface of the flywheel enough, it could certainly reduce the clamping force of the pressure plate.

the shoulder should be ground the same as the face or it will slip.maybey the dissy is off a notch hard to say without being there.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it's a 69 with original f-engine.
I soooooo don't want to take tranny and transfer out again, especially with the weather so nice and I can finally drive it!
But I don't want the clutch slipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom