Turning On Rear TVs Without Remote (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I recently installed Apple CarPlay using the EC Offroad Android module. It works fantastic and the install wasn't that tough. It can install any Google app (such as Netflix) and uses an HDMI cable to run video to the rear TVs. Unfortunately I have lost the remote.

Is there any way to turn on the TV's without the remote? I don't need any other functions of the remote as it's controlled by the EC module. I don't want to spend $150 just to turn the TVs on if possible...

Thanks!

I don't have rear screens anymore, but I thought there was a menu item in the infotainment system to turn on the rear screen(s).

Yes, @CharlieS is correct. The rear displays on/off steps are on page 157 of the navigation system owners manual (at least for the '17 model year).

Do you need the remote to select source? Only the remote for my 2013 has that function, not the front touchscreen. That's the only time I touch my remote as I have a roku connected to my rear screen for the kiddo.

Do you need the remote to select source? Only the remote for my 2013 has that function, not the front touchscreen. That's the only time I touch my remote as I have a roku connected to my rear screen for the kiddo.

That is correct for my 2011, you can turn the screen on but nothing plays unless you use the remote to select the source.
I try playing DVDs using front car audio and I can hear sound, but when the rear screen opens, nothing shows up until I use remote to select the source.
Would like to know if there is an alternate (non remote way) of turning on picture in the rear screen.

on a different note, my car only takes old school RCA input, how did you connect roku or others? did you use the RCA or your model has HDMI?
I also heard some folks do a cast from their front head unit to the rear screen using roku or chromecast etc

That is correct for my 2011, you can turn the screen on but nothing plays unless you use the remote to select the source.
I try playing DVDs using front car audio and I can hear sound, but when the rear screen opens, nothing shows up until I use remote to select the source.
Would like to know if there is an alternate (non remote way) of turning on picture in the rear screen.

on a different note, my car only takes old school RCA input, how did you connect roku or others? did you use the RCA or your model has HDMI?
I also heard some folks do a cast from their front head unit to the rear screen using roku or chromecast etc

Here's a thread on the topic: (Linked specifically to a post with an example dongle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom