Turn signal wiring questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, Ive got a 76 40 with the big square, ugly fender turn signals. I would like the run the earlier aprons with the side marker turns (i allready have a set) and the earlier round, fender turn signal assemblies. What type of wiring issues am I looking at here? Have any of you guys done this? Thanks.

Mike

[quote author=offcamber40 link=board=1;threadid=6133;start=msg49247#msg49247 date=1065734523]

OK, Ive got a 76 40 with the big square, ugly fender turn signals.

I would like the run the earlier aprons with the side marker turns

Mike
[/quote]

OK, Ive got a 76 40 with the big square, ugly fender turn signals.

So far so good.

I would like the run the earlier aprons with the side marker turns

Confused now, what are you talking about here? The post 71 40's had a side marker/running lamp on the fender apron. This was not a turn signal.

You simply need to run the wires that supply power to the running lights/marker light in the large turn signal assembly, to the marker light on the side apron. Run the signal wire from the large assembly, to the signal wire in the older, small round fender mounted turn signals. The old round assemblies should only be a one wire set up, as they are not a running lamp/turn signal combo, and were grounded as an assembly to the fender when it was mounted. The front marker lamps were in the grill assembly on the pre 72 40's.

A VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember is to make sure you have everything grounded! I can not stress this enough. So many people have wasted so much time trying to figure out why thier turn signals, or other electrical items do not work. All electrical systems need to be grounded properly in order to work properly.

Hope this helps!!!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, sorry about the confusion.. I am looking to run side marker lamps post 71 on the fender apron with round signal lamps on the fender. Your wiring description is exactly what I was looking for. I was uncertain if the provided wiring on the 76 was sufficient to wire in the old stuff without modifying the stock harness. Thanks.

Mike

I don't know if you need vehicle inspection where you live or how DOT is, but like Poser said you would still need front facing amber lights. The old tuna can turn lights are only turn signals as they only have one wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom