Turboing a 3B! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I'm thinking of putting a turbo on the 3B going into the FJ55. What turbo's have people used on their 3B and how sucessful was it? When does it kick in (what RPM) when does the wastegate begin to open and how much boost are you running?
Please be specific and let me know make, year and engine size of vehicle that the turbo came out of, whether it has oil and water supplies, an adjustable wastegate and is it clockable, (ie: can the turbo and compressor sections be rotated independently of each other and the bearing section).
If you've got a photo of your exhaust manifold include it as well.
I've installed an AXT kit in the '82 BJ60 so I've got some experience in turbo's on the 3B. My AXT starts to provide boost at 1500rpm already and opens the wastegate at about 2500rpm and is running at 8-9psi boost.
I took a walk around a wrecker today and they had a Nissan ZX turbo but it doesn't clock easily due to the wastegate actuator mounting and the wastegate adjustment would be nearly inaccessible.
Has anyone used one of those?

This will be vague as I do not have all the information, Mike M in Surrey drove a BJ with a home made turbo mount. The turbo I was told came off a Volvo and performed..... In his opion unreal.

He claimed it actually performed better than brand X.

Rob

BJ42,
I've got an AXT in the '82 BJ60 and I agree it's an excellent setup but I can't afford another one for the FJ55 so I'm looking for some lower cost options! If there are any of you're mates in Oz that wrecked their 'Cruisers and have an AXT to sell I'm interested.

Simon Liew in Winnipeg can make you one, he's done several and runs them himself on his trucks, he uses Nissan Z turbos and he makes his own manifolds...

I had heard tell that the manifold on the 3B could simply be flipped upside down and put back on, then a custom elbow made, and the turbo from a 6cyl. celica can be put on there, it is the same turbo as the the 13B-T except the exhaust fins are different...

celica... what year? or do you mean supra.. if supra what years... I don't look at either of those much..

[quote author=70seriesaddict link=board=21;threadid=10412;start=msg93985#msg93985 date=1074795502]
I had heard tell that the manifold on the 3B could simply be flipped upside down and put back on, then a custom elbow made, and the turbo from a 6cyl. celica can be put on there, it is the same turbo as the the 13B-T except the exhaust fins are different...
[/quote]

I've read up on turbo's in a book "Maximum Boost". Deals mostly with gas engines but the principal is the same. He recomends against any sort of end discharge manifold when using a turbo. In other words the stamdard 3B exhaust manifold is NOT an acceptable turbo manifold. The AXT on my '82 has a custom cast manifold with a center discharge to the turbo. I'd lean towards making my own manifold.
I've heard about the Supra CT20 turbo as well. Someone else was saying that they are more optimized to the higher rev's thus not really optimum for the diesel.
Anyone got pic's of Simon Liew's setup with the Nissan ZX turbo? There is one at the local wrecker but it doesn't look like it would be friendly to modify for the 3B due to clocking issues.

Ya it has the same housing, but things change drastically with regards too the wheel or turbine they use.

Fancy mapping of the wheel for every application.

I have two sitting on the shelf that I picked up for a couple hundred and then rebuilt (new bearing and seals).

Maybe one day I will get a chance to install it.

Rob

This is my setup in a BJ40 with a B engine but I saw many 3B with the same setup with no problems...

What brand turbo and intercooler? How well does the intercooler work or was it installed at the same time as you did the turbo?

The Turbo is a KKK K16 and the intercooler is from a Mitsubishi Pajero I think. I can't tell anything abou the intercooler because it was installed at the same time of the turbo. But al together makes a big difference than stock. It's very fast to go up with the Revs. ->cruiser_guy - waht turbo comes with the AXT kit. I want to install a turbo on a 3B but i don't know which one is the best bet. I saw K16 installed on 3B's but i think it's a small turbo for that engine. how much is the cost of the AXT turbo kit?

The AXT kit uses a Garrett turbo. I'm told it's a special one for the 3B. The kit is about $3000 AUS. I reach 8-9 lbs boost at about 2300 - 2500rpm that's where I've got the waste gate set to.

hey guys,

just reading throu this thread and was thinking that i had the same idea, get a JY turbo (form a volvo or supra or whatever) and build my own junk. that would take a lot of time and thought. if you have a welder at home and are handy, you just may be able to fab up some sort of manifold, and custom pipe junk, but how long with the truck down? how to route the coolant and oil?

could spend the time doing a spring over or something else. not saying that it can't be done, but i'm a welder by trade and pull all my own wrenches on my truck, and it just was not worth the time for a project on my DD.

i just put a AXT on the 60, and even though it was a little $$$, the kit bolts right on, comes with more bits and junk than you need, and andrew at AXT is just a real nice guy.

think about it, you get a NEW turbo, made just for the 3B, a NEW maifold cast just for the application and all the lines and stuff you need for a clean, quick and hassle free install.

the price of a good used turbo can be 100's or more, plus the line and bits and materials and all the mistakes ( some of us learn faster, but i always fawk a few up before i get it right) that sort of stuff adds up fast.

maybe you could just get the manifold from AXT, then you could experiment with the JY turbos to find on that works.

i honestly just can't see building a turbo set up my self, for any less than the AXT. unless you can work for pennies an hour ;)

i have heard that a intercooler from a volvo 7 series, saabs, and from hino 6cyl trucks might work for a cruiser.

then you could get 12psi out of your AXT kit. i am hunting for one now.

good luck cruiser guy... btw are you the same cruiser guy i used to see on slow speed?

crusty :bust:

[quote author=crustyBJ60 link=board=21;threadid=10412;start=msg138015#msg138015 date=1081828118]good luck cruiser guy... btw are you the same cruiser guy i used to see on slow speed?

crusty :bust:
[/quote]

One and the same!! You're over on the island aren't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom