Turbo'd 3L High Crank Pressure Causing Major Oil Leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm pretty much at my wit's end with this Hilux 3L+T w/ IC rebuild and needing some help.

Recently rebuilt the engine, engine has 7 hours to it, cumulatively 3 hours of it on a highway going 110km/h, and it seems like at higher RPM's held for extended periods of time cause enough oil to flow down from the hole in the valve cover, back into the intake, and cause continuous white smoke while on the highway. On surface streets, between gear shift changes upon letting off the accelerator, a quick white puff of smoke will also let out. The valve cover doesn't really have a PCV valve on it, it's just an open hole with a "grill" that catches the oil vapors (which I will check later today.

This thread here: "High blowby with good compression..." seems to cover something similar, but it's with an older L engine. This truck has a 2LTE valve cover by the looks of it with the higher rear, and has a CT20 turbo. This thread here: "2LTE Blowby" also talks about a similar issue... But I feel like the amount of oil burning and leaking is much more excessive than remedying it with a catch can (which this truck once had before the rebuild, and after removing it did not have this issue) and opening the turbo waste gate manually (which I'm guessing requires just pulling the actuator bar to the rear?)

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Tired of having to fill it up 1-2 quartz for every hour of driving.

2022-09-24 17.29.47.jpg
2022-09-24 18.42.49.jpg
2022-09-24 18.41.16.jpg
2022-09-24 18.41.24.jpg

You've got two problems.

First is your breather is connected to the intake. You are literally boosting the crank-case.

Second, smaller problem, I would say your new rings haven't seated and you're getting excessive blowby for that reason.

Blowby and turbo are pressurising the crank-case, leading to oil leaks and causing the turbo to spit oil into the compressor which is feeding oil into the engine. Causing the smoke.

I would say move the breather to the intake piping upstream of the turbo and try to drive with more torque and lower rpm (more hills, less highway) to seat the rings and see how it improves. If it doesn't then a compression check may tell you if it's all the cylinders (more break-in needed) or just one that is not sealing well.

wow, i’m an idiot. i don’t know why i didn’t think of reversing the flow of the valve cover breather. thank you.

I’m gonna cover the top of intake, throw a catch can in and see if that helps.

I’m 98% sure this is my old truck. I installed the turbo, intercooler, etc as well as the catch can you mention.

Absolutely zero issues like this during my ownership, but not sure what happened in the last few years to warrant an engine rebuild.

Hey John!
Yeah it’s the same truck. It’s doing good contrary to what this post may seem like.

We rebuilt it because cyl3 over time lost compression over the course of my friend’s ownership and eventually the ring started to wear down to the point that there was significant blow-by to warrant a rebuild. He also lost 5th gear about a year ago, but it’s got a new HD W56 from marlin crawler now, and a 2.5” exhaust to help with the EGT’s
I’m 98% sure this is my old truck. I installed the turbo, intercooler, etc as well as the catch can you mention.

Absolutely zero issues like this during my ownership, but not sure what happened in the last few years to warrant an engine rebuild

FD6B0F6C-1D53-422D-BE69-120ECB86449D.jpeg

Got like 25hrs on the rebuild now, and it’s doing good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom