Tundra Width Rear Axle Spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to create a set of rear axle spacers that move the rear wheel bearings outwards from the axle tube to accept rear axle shafts from a 07+ 2WD Tundra with a 9.5in ring gear.

I've been playing with this idea for a couple months now following my Tundra swapped front end. After seeing the versions that @bjowett created in This Thread I figured that this idea was definitely possible.

Bottom line is that I don't like wheel spacers (I've been running 1.5in spacers since the swap), but i want equal track widths front and rear. At the same time this mod would be paired with a re-gear for the 295/70R18s, new brakes w/ SS lines, tundra swapped front brakes, and wheel bearings all around. Below I've attached some quick drawings I've made to demonstrate what these axle spacers would look like. All dimensions are in millimeters.

The only hiccup is that I don't want to tear down the rear axle quite yet ,as I'm still using the vehicle. Does anyone have experience with this sort of project? Does anyone know exactly what the length difference is between a Land Cruiser 200 rear axle shaft and a 2WD Tundra rear axle shaft is?

Land Cruiser Rear Axle Bearing Spacer Perspective.PNG

Land Cruiser Rear Axle Bearing Spacer Perspective 2.PNG

Land Cruiser Rear Axle Bearing Spacer Side.PNG

Land Cruiser Rear Axle Bearing Spacer Top.PNG

So I figured I'd provide an update for those that might be interested. I had the spacers machined off of the drawings I created, and was able to successfully install using a set of 07+ Tundra 9.5in (2WD or 2UZ/1UR/1GR) axle shafts.

So far I have about 3,000 miles on the install with no apparent issues. Total track width increase was around 89mm (3.5in).

In hindsight this is mostly an academic experiment, as the same end state could be achieved with wheel spacers. This really just offers me piece of mind since I've never been a fan of wheel spacers.

Heres an outboard shot of the spacer with the installed axle seal:
spacer 4.jpg

Here's a look of the inboard side:
spacer 3.jpg

The assembled mock up with a rear wheel bearing:
spacer 5.jpg

Installed on the axle:
spacer 1.jpg

The brake line holder extension was required as well:
spacer 2.jpg

Don't mind the fluid film.

If I was to do this project again, I'd make three changes:
1. copy the inboard side chamfer utilized by the wheel bearing assembly (allows sufficient space for the o-ring)
2. minor correction to the mounting holes (~1/2mm)
3. buy a set of disc brake backing plates to avoid dealing with rust on the originals

When are you doing another run of these?

I didn't really have any plans for another run, not until I need to replace the wheel bearings at least. A second set would only be to make some updates to the design. I do still have the CAD file, and the machine shop I used only needed that to make the parts. I thought about posting the CAD file publically, but its not quite 100% so it would be a use at your own risk type of situation.

Looks great! But make sure to account for the brake backing plate thickness.

The backing plate for the rear caliper and brake disc are a press fit on the outside surface of the hub housing and is held in place with the four mounting bolts. So I didnt add or subtract any height from the spacer. Is that what you were referring too?

1640035110599.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom