Tundra Wheels Won't Fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mooterman

SILVER Star
Threads
Plebe's first post and first problem. I have been a frequent lurker for a long time and finally pulled the trigger on 2013 LC and now engaging in some cosmetic remodeling. Picked up some cheap Tundra TRD wheels and had them powder coated. Both Discount Tire and Les Schwab could not get them on. The center bore on the wheels are slightly too small. I thought the specs were the same as the stock wheels. 110mm. Am I missing something? Could it just be powder coating build up in the wheels? Should I try sanding the bore or take them to a machine shop? Wondering if anyone else has run into this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

tempImagecIhZTX.png

Last edited:
Don’t have any advice, but wheels look great. Hope you get it worked out. Something like this was one of my fall back plans to RWs. Lots of people run these, so I suspect you are right about sanding out the powder coating.

It’s the powder coat. Plenty of people have run those without issue.

You may also have issues with the lug bores.

Frankly the shop that coated them did not mask off the parts they should have.. did they also coat the hub mounting face on the inside?

I dealt with this exact issue on a past vehicle and it was a giant pain in the ass.

+1 Definitely a powdercoat issue. They needed to mask the inside of the bore and didn't. I run those same wheels (in OEM black paint).

IMG_1109.jpeg

Note the lack of paint on the lugnut mating surfaces as well:

IMG_0978.jpeg

Last edited:
+1 Definitely a powdercoat issue. They needed to mask the inside of the bore and didn't. I run those same wheels (in OEM black paint).

++1 - and they also should have masked off the bearing surfaces on the lug holes.

HTH

++1 - and they also should have masked off the bearing surfaces on the lug holes.

HTH
Thanks for all of the input. Will contact the powder coating guy this week and see if he can remedy the situation. BTW...he did mask the back side.

Thanks for all of the input. Will contact the powder coating guy this week and see if he can remedy the situation. BTW...he did mask the back side.
It’s good that they did that. I’d want him to address the center bore as well as the lug faces and bores, basically to make it look like the above picture of a black wheel. The faces because that is the clamping surface and the PC won’t do well with that amount of pressure, and the bores because the lugs are a tight fit in there and the PC will interfere with that just like the center bore.

I feel for them in that wheels for many vehicles might not need this specific attention but toyota has unique ideas on some things, and they usually have reasons for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom