Tundra Towing/ Hauling ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

both. its like adding heavier springs but only when you need them.

I gotta look into these babies. (I can feel my wallet getting lighter already.)

2010 Tundra 5.7, tow pkg with 4.30:1 gearing:
I have towed an 8000# toy hauler all over AZ and CO, from sea level to 11K ft. It uses gas, a lot (8mpg towing). But, even at elevation, I never felt underpowered in the Tundra. Heck, pulling that trailer it still has more giddyup than my 80 series.

Towing my 416 it is practically invisible.

I have no experience with heavier bed loads.

Air bags, E rated tires, and a good brake controller are essential for heavier loads.

I picked up a '13 tundra a couple weeks ago. I have towed some light trailer loads, maybe 3-4K worth. Couldn't tell it was back there with the engine power. Squatted a bit more than I like to see and feel. I've gotten in a PacBrake airbag setup and in-cab controls to install. Also a good brake controller. And a TRD sway bar. I should start a new thread for these added goodies.

So far, the tundra is the best truck I've ever owned. Not sure if it is because I'm coming from a dually flatbed crew for 14 years, or if it's just the worlds most awesome truck. Maybe alittle of both.

Tundra can tow 10,000lbs....can actually tow more safely but for legal reasons they limit it at 10k.

Also, it is purpose built for towning....it is the ONLY vehicle in its class with 4 piston calipers on brakes....also only one with a 4.30 rear end....you have to get the F350 or 450 to get that rear end.

I would get heavier springs for rear if towing on regular basis though....to keep rear from squatting and consider a leveling hitch. The integrated trailer brake controller is a bonus in the new Tundra and a huge assistance in safety.

The sole reason we sold our '12 super crew was was the stock suspension couldn't handle my 8000# fishing vessel. And the roads up here in the interior are terrible, for anything other then a truck equipped with the appropriate suspension for the job. Being as this was also our daily driver, I wasnt willing to compromise unloaded handling in order to haul in the summer months.

So I’m going to resurrect this thread. I have a cream puff 08 DC w/towing package and air bags. In addition, I have a 2000# (wet) slide in camper and a carhauler for the 40( 6400# combined). I’ve hauled them both separately, but never both at once. When hauling either one it’s great.
Am I asking for trouble to haul both at once? I have a brake controller. I’ll be doing highway, interstate and a couple passes on the way to Moab.

Last edited:
Only one way to find out. Give it a try.

We tow a two horse trailer, probably 6K loaded. You would never know it’s there.

That said, most people moving horses seem to use F 350 diesels.

I’ve hauled a lot more weight than that in my first gen. Take your time, keep it out of O/D unless you’re going down hill and you’ll be fine.

I'd do it

The passes won't be fun but the Tundra will do it no problem. Car hauler has some form of brakes correct?
Trailer has brakes. Truck has temp gauge for tranny.
I’ve hauled a lot more weight than that in my first gen. Take your time, keep it out of O/D unless you’re going down hill and you’ll be fine.
That’s the plan right there. A shorter haul would worry me less, but this’ll be 8-10 hours of highway and interstate. As I’m sure you’ve guessed I’m not a frequent trailerer. I’m probably just being nervous. Drive around the valley today loaded, seems fine. Just a little slow off the line.
9CC515E5-76F7-4715-9B35-E0E0DAE1FD99.jpeg

Moab here we come...supped to be 74 on Wednesday!!!!

My daughter had never driven with a trailer until the horse trailer and Tundra. She drove around town and got gas, no easy feat.

I told her not to do anything stupid and she will be fine.

You should be fine. I tow my 33 ft travel trailer 8,500 lbs loaded in forth gear(no overdrive) going 75-80 on flat interstate with 3 inch lift and 35's mud tires. I've towed it 8 hours through the hills of Tennessee to Bristol NASCAR race going 65-70 on hills. Just stay a step ahead of the road and whats coming up and you will be fine. Pull tractor , Boat etc. all the time. They just like gas!!! a lot!

Tractor.jpg

33 TT.jpg
Boat.jpg

They like little loads too!

cart.jpg

I'll add to this too. I do residential construction and my work truck is an '08 double cab long bed with the 5.7 It has the factory tow package (no tow mirrors though wtf?), Firestone air bags with onboard compressor, and IMO the worst brake controller (journey HD)
We looked at all of the major players. The boss already had a big F350, so we felt we could go "smaller" with the second truck.
Comparing it to the F350 isn't very fair, but that beast handles our 14k rated dump trailer way better than the tundra. That being said; the Tundra tows very well, and I'm sure some new shocks would stiffen things back up pretty well.
I had one rough day with it though when an equipment company gave us a bigger excavator than we had asked for. I ended up having about 12k behind the truck. I took it slow, but I could tell it wasn't very happy.
My other gripe is that Toyota's 8' bed is more like 7' 11"

hauling an isx engine was sketch even with 35 lbs in the air bags, thankfully it was only about 3 miles down a service road. keep in mind this engine weighs a hair under 3000 lbs. but i did spend all last year towing the raffle rig around the state with no issues at all.
20180910_103946.jpg
20181111_085045.jpg

So my concern was unfounded!! Never should have doubted the tundra. On the way down to Moab, I took the easy way down: I15 to route 6(Spanish Fork) to I80 to US191(Moab). Truck pulled great and even got a feel for pulling around the slc. It won’t win any races off the line, but the trailer wasn’t overly noticeable.
On the way home from Fruita, Co, it got tested a bit harder. We took the scenic route: two switch back passes on route 139(Loma to Rangley,Co) and US191(Vernal, Ut to Flaming Gorge). This is where a diesel would have been nice, but at the same time the Tundra did fine. After climbing out of the Gorge the truck did great. Cruiser all the way up US191 happy as can be.
For those looking for comparison( like I was): stock 08 Tundra w/tow package, air bags and brake controller. For the load I had (2000#) in the bed and pulled a double axle trailer (2000#) w/ topless 40 (4500#). I got 8.9 mpg and averaged ~70mph when possible.
87C6D98B-ADE1-46DF-8DEB-8C86952DA054.jpeg

I’m routinely pulling a tandem axled trailer with inertia brakes that need service, the trailer has my 22’ welded aluminum boat, with gas & gear it’s 5000#.

I have the 5.7 / tow package & airbags on the rear axle, but also have 35’s - even with the bigger tires it’s still plenty of truck for going up 8% grades, and more importantly enough brakes.

I rarely even use the tow/haul button, except if I’m in stop-n-go traffic going thru Seattle (I don’t bother shifting myself then) - and since I do my own shifting on passes I never bother with it then.

I do use the manual shifting so I avoid hunting gears/keeps trans temp cooler, but that’s it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom