Tundra Towing/ Hauling ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So my concern was unfounded!! Never should have doubted the tundra. On the way down to Moab, I took the easy way down: I15 to route 6(Spanish Fork) to I80 to US191(Moab). Truck pulled great and even got a feel for pulling around the slc. It won’t win any races off the line, but the trailer wasn’t overly noticeable.
On the way home from Fruita, Co, it got tested a bit harder. We took the scenic route: two switch back passes on route 139(Loma to Rangley,Co) and US191(Vernal, Ut to Flaming Gorge). This is where a diesel would have been nice, but at the same time the Tundra did fine. After climbing out of the Gorge the truck did great. Cruiser all the way up US191 happy as can be.
For those looking for comparison( like I was): stock 08 Tundra w/tow package, air bags and brake controller. For the load I had (2000#) in the bed and pulled a double axle trailer (2000#) w/ topless 40 (4500#). I got 8.9 mpg and averaged ~70mph when possible. View attachment 1944247

Good Deal Archie, didn't think it would be any problem besides planning the frequent fuel stops!!!

Glad it worked out!

Good Deal Archie, didn't think it would be any problem besides planning the frequent fuel stops!!!

Glad it worked out!
Yeah 200 miles to a tank gets old, but I don’t do it often enough to justify a bigger/second tank... of course I was traveling with a 7 year old, so every 200 miles seems like a good time to stop and stretch the legs.

I rarely even use the tow/haul button, except if I’m in stop-n-go traffic going thru Seattle (I don’t bother shifting myself then) - and since I do my own shifting on passes I never bother with it then.

I do use the manual shifting so I avoid hunting gears/keeps trans temp cooler, but that’s it.
That’s interesting on the Tow/Haul button. I don’t have a great in sight on it, but tried to push it every time I got going. I did forget when I climbed out of the gorge, but at the same time it didn’t really feel any different. Like you I was using the sport mode when towing, so perhaps it cancels it out.

So one more bump... how about a somewhat built FJ60 on a 10k rated 18' car trailer (with brakes)? Currently towing it with a 2003 Yukon XL w/8.1l V8 works just fine but thinking of getting into something newer.

tow.jpg

That’s interesting on the Tow/Haul button. I don’t have a great in sight on it, but tried to push it every time I got going. I did forget when I climbed out of the gorge, but at the same time it didn’t really feel any different. Like you I was using the sport mode when towing, so perhaps it cancels it out.

100% the Sport-matic / manual shift > Tow/Haul button.

Since Tow/Haul just holds shift points ala’ the PWR button in a 80, the fact you are 100% in control of shift in manu-matic mode means Tow/Haul button is just ‘dash decoration’ in that that situation.

So one more bump... how about a somewhat built FJ60 on a 10k rated 18' car trailer (with brakes)? Currently towing it with a 2003 Yukon XL w/8.1l V8 works just fine but thinking of getting into something newer.

I’d have a hard time giving a “oh, you’ll love a 3UR” -over a 8.1

You have what - some 500+ ft/lb of TQ with that, stock?
All I know is that it’s the stroker 454, and a 454 with a RV cam can eat U-joints when asked to.

I can’t recite 3UR TQ #’s plus I run 35’s - so mine is skewed to a degree anyhow.

That’s the glaring thing I see before we talk brakes, or max tow capacity / your loaded speeds & routes driven, etc.

Really, your 8.1 is nearing what a glowplug motor must have for TQ - then think you’re getting essentially a 350 -range motor in the Tundra, sans a S/C. (Another $5K way to find the fail point of the con rods IMO).

I’m as ‘Yota’ as anyone, but unless you think you’re seriously overkilling it with the 8.1, I don’t see you being the guy who wants a 3UR.

Nice looking 60 BTW.

brought this up to wyoming from our denver store. tundra did just fine

20191123_160051.jpg

Tundra tows really well. As long as you let the engine spin up you won't have any issues. It isn't a diesel, and has a tiny fuel tank but besides that it does great.
Recommend Firestone airbags for any load over around 4k, the rear does get a bit saggy.

E range tire and the TRD away bar help quite a bit too if you're going to tow really heavy.

IMG_20190531_125138.jpg

I think this is my biggest load so far. 1 ton diesel dually.

Had to stop and move it forward a few inches, but that was the load masters fault, not the truck!

20160727_175338.jpg

also towed this to wyoming ....fat bastard sure as hell ain't a measely 5000lbs ;0

tow.jpg

I’m thinking we’re havimg 2 separate conversations.

While you :::can::: tow a space shuttle, I’m from the school of how well tou can control your load on the open highway.

The highway where boy racers darting in lanes & blue-hairs doing exactly 52 in a 55 zone, making traffic ‘accordion effect’ behind them.

I pulled my ~5K+ of boat, say 27’ total length on tandem axles through Seattle during rush-hour / well past sunset getting out, and it was a small challenge.

There’s an old VW GTI ad that went ‘it’s not how fast you go, it’s how well you go fast’.

In this case, the doorjamb sticker MAX is a tick over 10K - and down to mid/low 8K for my exact sub-model.

Frankly, @yukon - I’m sure there was a reason, but your Tundra belongs on the trailer & the Dodge pulling.

But that’s what I see & I’m sure the Dodge was trailered for a reason.

But I have driven a great 454 RV cammed camper special (3/4t frame, 1T susp/axles) - and it’s not a Tundra by a great deal - now imagine how a 8.1 dropping down to a 5.7 would behave versus expectations/ experience.

Thanks all. My Yukon XL is in excellent condition and does the job for me.. I think Ill comit to vigorously maintaining it. Heck, even if it gets to need a new transmission (I'm at 200k) it'll be less $ than getting into a newer Tundra or some 2500 pick up or SUV.

‘it’s not how fast you go, it’s how well you go fast’.

Exactly. The Tundra tows very well, in fact I've found it hits high above its rating as far as keeping loads under control. Most of my towing is in the winter up and down mountains towing tandem axles, so when I say this I'm not talking about taking my john boat a few blocks to the launch.

That said if you want to tow, it isn't a 1 ton, you MUST have good, properly working trailer brakes. As with anything, paying proper attention to the task at hand is key, don't give yourself the need to smash on the brakes and you'll be good, allow a huge following distance to avoid such things (but you'd do that in the 1 ton too...).

Aside from braking power I prefer the Tundra to any of the myriad of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks I've towed with. Why? Simply put it drives down the road better. Though I will say the Chevy integrated brake controller is a dream compared to the crap Toyota makes us use, but that'd a discussion for another thread.

A buddy of mine had a 2014 DCLB for about year (mice totaled it). The 165" wheelbase was VERY noticeable with big loads... if I purchased another Tundra for towing, hands down, it would be this version.
IMG_3155.PNG

Last edited:
Just sayin'

A buddy of mine had a 2014 DCLB for about year (mice totaled it). The 165" wheelbase was VERY noticeable with big loads... if I purchased another Tundra for towing, hands down, it would be this version.
View attachment 2160206

i tow with this same truck everyday, a 2014. i have really put it to the test, more than I should have. also have a 2013 DB short bed. the difference is staggering in the improved towing ability. i have the TRD sway bar, and PacBrake airbag setup, with 10 ply tires. It's no 1 ton, but its the next best thing. if the Tundra had dual wheels, it would take over the dual wheel gas market. the 14 is the new design, and the tow haul button reacts differently than in the 13 and prior models. the 13 model feels like it just changes the sift points allowing it to rev higher before shifting. but the 14 tow haul button.... It's like its a different truck. it just leaps off the line. i was told its an electronically controlled reared and it puts it into a 4.3 reared. not sure how all that works, but its a great setup. Long beds all the way!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom