Tubine Sprayers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone out there have experience with using a turbine sprayer, like Apollo or FujiSpray, for automotive applications? Experiences or thoughts?

I have spent several hours skimming websites and Youtube trying to learn about these turbine HVLP paint systems. I believe I would prefer a gravity fed gun. When comparing similarly psi rated systems they are are closely priced. The options for nozzles & hose length are all I pick up right away.

I've been using one of TP Tools systems for a number of years: TP Tools 3-Stage HVLP Turbine Paint Systems - TP Tools & Equipment - https://www.tptools.com/TP-Tools-3-Stage-HVLP-Turbine-Paint-Systems.html

I like it. Don't have to worry about moisture or oil in the air supply.
I looked at the TP Tool systems as well. I liked what I saw except for the size...not that it's huge, but I thinking of use in other applications. I periodically do some home renovation work on the side and I was thinking the smaller FujiSpray would be easier to transport and use inside for cabinets, etc. no matter the size/layout of the place. I guess really the auto painting part would be the secondary use, but I want something that gives a chance at a quality finish.

What psi do you you generally use for auto application? I've looked all over at the specs between Fuji's Mini-Mite 4 and Mini-Mite 5 for the definitive differences and all I can find is the 5 can produce .5 more psi and comes with a few more accessories.

I have spent several hours skimming websites and Youtube trying to learn about these turbine HVLP paint systems. I believe I would prefer a gravity fed gun. When comparing similarly psi rated systems they are are closely priced. The options for nozzles & hose length are all I pick up right away.
In a perfect world...yes...I would have an awesome compressor and the whole setup, but needing to keep my household "mobile" for work, I'm thinking a turbine setup may be the best compromise. While I'm figuring this out, go ahead and get your gravity fed high pressure system set up and I swing by to test it out ;)

I looked at the TP Tool systems as well. I liked what I saw except for the size...not that it's huge, but I thinking of use in other applications. I periodically do some home renovation work on the side and I was thinking the smaller FujiSpray would be easier to transport and use inside for cabinets, etc. no matter the size/layout of the place. I guess really the auto painting part would be the secondary use, but I want something that gives a chance at a quality finish.

What psi do you you generally use for auto application? I've looked all over at the specs between Fuji's Mini-Mite 4 and Mini-Mite 5 for the definitive differences and all I can find is the 5 can produce .5 more psi and comes with a few more accessories.

In a perfect world...yes...I would have an awesome compressor and the whole setup, but needing to keep my household "mobile" for work, I'm thinking a turbine setup may be the best compromise. While I'm figuring this out, go ahead and get your gravity fed high pressure system set up and I swing by to test it out ;)
I probably used the wrong term when I said "gravity" fed. I think I would prefer the paint reservoir to be on top of the gun not on the bottom. I am convinced I can paint my 40 and I think a turbine system is the tool for the job. The lack of noise, over spray, the size, the flexibility all are appealing.

I probably used the wrong term when I said "gravity" fed. I think I would prefer the paint reservoir to be on top of the gun not on the bottom. I am convinced I can paint my 40 and I think a turbine system is the tool for the job. The lack of noise, over spray, the size, the flexibility all are appealing.

Fuji (haven’t checked other brands) gives you the option of 3 different guns...bottom, top, and side mounted feeds.

I have the older Showtime 90 setup. It runs 60 cfm of air at 5 psi. Their new model, the Showtime 99, runs 60 cfm of air at 7.5 psi. They say that the increased pressure provides better paint atomization when spraying resulting in a smoother finish and less sanding prior to buffing.

Depending on what you're planning to spray for home improvement projects, I'm not sure that you really want a "one and done" system. Automotive finishes are a lot thinner than architectural finishes. I've got a Graco airless sprayer for "architectural" finishes and even an inexpensive electric sprayer (would have to look at the brand) for spraying things like exterior waterproofing for the fence and deck.

After quite a bit of reading/researching and a lot of back and forth comparison, I finally decided on a FujiSpray mini-mite 4. I found a website that offered a package deal with free shipping, a few accessories, the side mounted swivel feed gun for spraying at all angles, AND 2 additional air cap sets. According to Fuji, this gives me all the major components to do primer, base, and clear for under my $1K budget.

Since I just picked up another tuck that needs a repaint, I needed to make up my mind. The package should ship in 7-10 days. I'm looking forward to giving it a try and sharing my results.

*For those wondering why I'm not just going with a traditional compressor setup...I'm in the Army and need to be able to pack up and move easily. One day I'll be a able to settle down and actually put together a dedicated shop.

After quite a bit of reading/researching and a lot of back and forth comparison, I finally decided on a FujiSpray mini-mite 4. I found a website that offered a package deal with free shipping, a few accessories, the side mounted swivel feed gun for spraying at all angles, AND 2 additional air cap sets. According to Fuji, this gives me all the major components to do primer, base, and clear for under my $1K budget.

Since I just picked up another tuck that needs a repaint, I needed to make up my mind. The package should ship in 7-10 days. I'm looking forward to giving it a try and sharing my results.

*For those wondering why I'm not just going with a traditional compressor setup...I'm in the Army and need to be able to pack up and move easily. One day I'll be a able to settle down and actually put together a dedicated shop.
its been almost a year. how did the painting go/

Actually, we’re creeping up on 2 years…dang. A lot has happened; I retired from the Army, we took the FZJ80 I was looking to paint on a 5k mile roadtrip, and moved to TN. As for the painting….

The FujiSpray turbine exceeded my expectations by a long shot! I ended up removing the factory rack on the roof and welding up the holes, patching a couple large rust spots under the fender flares, repairing rusted out holes in the rockers under the passenger rear doors, and sanding off the old clear coat. Next I used the sprayer to lay down a coat of black sealer, then painted with fresh dark emerald green, followed by clear coat. This was all done outside under a Harbor Freight carport awning. 90% of the truck turned out smooth as glass. The 10% that didn’t was due to operator error…this was my first attempt at painting, so I’ll take it as a win. Even the 10% that was the worst, was still equal to or slightly better than the factory finish. I was under a time crunch to get finished and get the truck back on the road for a summer road trip before we closed on our new place in TN, so I don’t have the greatest pictures. Here is some of what I was able to find.

I went ahead and pulled all the glass because half the rubber needed replacing anyway. That also allowed me to check for rot…which I found and fixed on the upper tailgate and DS cargo window.

DB3791DE-DA38-4BC0-A037-ABBC013A5D07.jpeg

The hood vents allowed me to finish off the hood and avoid patching a large rust spot that would have been hard to keep from warping. This is a couple days after painting with the windshield back in. The dust and bugs aren’t in the clear, just on it.
894CA716-533D-4D5C-B867-AFF5FA1D363F.jpeg

This is about a week later when I was refreshing the steering knuckles. I don’t think it’s too bad for a first time, especially for a truck intended to be off pavement.
6909D73E-347F-473E-8F49-2274FBA3F710.jpeg

This was the beginning of our road trip.
2029ABCD-49F5-43FF-9315-94EDDABCA042.jpeg

I would 100% recommend one of these turbine sprayers to anyone looking to do their own paint and wanting to save some $$$. I don’t know if it would be worth it for one project, but I have 2 others going on right now. I figure I’ll end up coming out ahead.

hey Tom - i have a FujiSpray q5 turbine if you want to try it out - ive used it for some woodworking projects that look great and plan to paint the 40 with it...at some point - ive got a lot to do before that stage
bring some parts over and we'll spray some - i have a box to paint

the only sort of downside i can see with the turbines is that the guns are system dependant, and not 'cheap' - most people use a cheap gun for primers and such as they can just toss it if it eventually eats the gun. i dont know this would apply to someone just doing 1-off uses, but im hesitant to damage my main fujispray gun - these are more involved cleaning that a HPLV gun, you have to clean right after use, so this may be a problem in some time window applications

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom