Trying to decide 4x4lab bike rack - which style? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I see that 4x4 labs offer two types of upright bike holding racks: skewer mounted or front wheel mounted. Can I hear the pros/cons with both setup for the folks who own one style or the other? Dealing with the front wheels inside the cab can be a minor annoyance but it's doable. How much of a pain is it to mount the bikes on either of these racks? Do women have a hard time with this process as it seems a little cumbersome.

Are there other brands of swing out racks that I should be looking at also?

Thanks for any inputs.

1574266338541.png

1574266382437.png

1574266406792.png

Well, the last picture is of my rig almost ten years ago just after Luke mounted the bumper and rack.

Still running the rack, and no major complaints. Swapped out the skewers for Yakima locking ones which match all of my other rigs, and also drilled/added Yakima ratcheting rear wheel straps. Never done heavy arse-dragging wheeling with bikes on the back, but have driven some rough pinstripe trails with low hanging trees, etc. and happy the bikes were safely tucked behind the rig.

I'd go platform rack for ease of use and no wheel removal. I welded a reciever tube to one of my swing-outs on my bumper and use a platform rack to haul my 29er. Check out @MANUCHAO 's set up, too.

20191008_215210-jpg.2102731

20191010_193605-jpg.2104338

very nice!!! Admittedly, I'm not too keen on sticking my bikes way out there and the leverage it puts on the spindle. My spindle is a trailer stub axle from the '03 era when HD spindles weren't around yet!

I only have a single tire swing out and was thinking of making a shorter swing out just for two bikes. I may just mimic 4x4lab design for the bike holder, dunno yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom