Truck won't start, hear one click... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acf

Threads
"Malfunction indicator lamp" lights. Electrical problem of some sort? Starter? Alternator? Radio comes on. This is 2nd hand from wife. I'm at work. Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance.

sounds like a battery problem, or a loose connection at the battery terminals. It doesn't take much juice to run the radio, compared with the amps needed to spin the engine. Make sure the battery cable terminals and posts are clean and tight. Has she tried jump starting it?
JonB

No, not jumped yet and I sure hope you're right. Thanks.

She did tell me that she started the truck, forgot something in the house, turned it off, went inside, came right back out and the rest is history as they say.

I vote starter.

Haven't had the MIL come on for a starter issue before though.
Has she tried to start it again? If it starts up w/o probs, then it's 99% a starter issue, IMO.

Same thing that started happening to me, got worse, got starter contacts in right away, problem went away.

Contacts were toast. Had 150K on them.

Me too, I voted for the starter contacts. Sounds like the contacts are fried. Call Cdan right away.

Thanks for the replies. She can't get it to do anything different than "click". I'll troubleshoot the battery and connections as well when I get home.

Checked records from PO, starter replaced at 69k, battery at 65k, its has 110k now. :eek:

It was the battery.

So when it rains it pours, noticed that my power antenna won't extend all the way now. :censor:

I vote battery too! :flipoff2:

Oh and if you can't replace a starter immediately when it goes bad, then tap it with a hammer. That usually knocks the contacts enough to get it started. That usually get you buy a day or so. But replace contacts ASAP!

Had that same problem in my FJ80 the other night. Hopped in the truck went to start her up and click and then nothin. Turns out the little crappy bar that holds in my battery the bolt and broken off :censored: and the positive contact had slipped off the terminal.

So the saga is not quite over. Went out to start the truck tonight and I get nothing. :censor: Not even a click, no lights anywhere, nothing. So I try to jump it like last time. This time, I still get nothing after several attempts. I did get a spark and the lights flashed as I connected the negative ground but thats all the light I can generate except now the lower door lights are illuminated about 50%. Can't get the dome light to come on but the front "reading" light will also light at about 50%. Are we back to starter and alternator? Doesn't the spark mean the battary is indeed drained relative to the charging battery? So I could have a couple problems, one being something is causing the battery to drain, the other that I'm not getting current to the rest of the car?

If you have a trickle charger, then charge it over-night and see if it holds charge. Otherwise give the jumpers at least ten minutes. If the battery is charged and it won't start, have your wife try to start it repeatedly while you give the hammer a chance to persuade that starter. If it starts, then you'd better deal with the starter quick.

Latest update. This time, very cracked/worn Alt belt not doing its job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom