TROUBLE: Stripped fill hole inlet threads on Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have a measurable torque wrench................which is why im in this mess to start with.

How much torque you think I'm putting out with my hands and cloth over the bolt/plug haha?

Is this heli-coil kit something i could perform from under the truck. Last thing i want to do is screw it up even more. Is it generally something that shops are familiar with? My first call to an independent shop i mentioned heli-coil and he thought i was speaking french.
Buy the torque wrench when you're out and about picking up a new plug and a few washers.

I wouldn't think you're even approaching 5 ft-lb.

Helicoils can definitely be installed on your back and under the truck. In my past life, I've installed them as approved fixes in aircraft. You'll end up with a stronger thread than you started with. They're used by the ton to fix stripped spark plug threads.

PADDO has great advice in the thread above this one. Try a google for "truck repair indianapolis" and see where that leads...

Report back when fixed. ;)

I once bought a 70 series that had this happen. The PO 'repaired' it by JB welding a reducing bushing into the hole and then used a smaller threaded plug. the smaller hole still fit a filler tube nicely so I left it, figuring I'd swap the case sometime later. In the end it worked just fine. I never did swap the case and I filled it via that hole many, many times over many, many years.

Ive called around to a couple diesel mechanics and without me so much as mentioning it they are adamant on the rubber tightening expansion plugs. They say big rigs run hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

One guy said he puts another nut behind the nut thats already on the plug for added security and peace of mind. Says it acts like a locking nut

Ive called around to a couple diesel mechanics and without me so much as mentioning it they are adamant on the rubber tightening expansion plugs. They say big rigs run hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

One guy said he puts another nut behind the nut thats already on the plug for added security and peace of mind. Says it acts like a locking nut
Sounds like you have a plan, I guess all the plug has to do is stay in situ and not leak. I'd Initially check the expansion plug for tightness pretty regularly until you have confidence it's going to stay put then check every oil change and drive shaft lube. Probably only going last a few hundred thousand miles :)

id still prefer somethig more permanant for the long run but i'm going to test out a Dorman Help - Rubber Expansion Plug when i get home from work today.

The smallest they go is 19MM. The fill plug on the transfer case is 18MM. Not sure if it will fit or not. If it doesn't fit i will try to lube it up with some gear oil to get it to go in or maybe take some sandpaper and rub some of the rubber off of it if it.

The washer backing is only 22M which is 2MM short of the standard 24MM fill plug backing. I guess that doesn't really matter with the rubber expanding into the threads in the inlet/hole.

So 25 highway miles and 15 city miles later and it's apparent that the fill plug as it sits now (torqued to the point where it will slip/break lose if i turn the ratchet anymore) will not be the answer. It's leaking a very small amount of gear oil. Not enough to drip off, but it's leaking. Maybe 1/4 - 1/2 an ounce. It's more of a seep then leak.

Seeing as vibrations and cold weather will only worsen the leak over time, I'm going to try out the 19mm rubber expanision plug to see if that will hold.................and if it will even fit into the 18mm fill hole at all haha. Need to get the permenant fix done sometime this winter.

I will report back.

tcase1.jpg

tcase2.jpg

A 19-22 mm rubber expansion plug will not fit. Wishful thinking but the guy at autozone sold me on "It might be snug, but it may fit".

Not sure if sanding off some of the rubber would work to try to get it to fit or not.

I've not been able to source an 18 mm expansion plug. Even the big box stores don't go below the one i have with the majority being 1"-2"

Last edited:
A 19-22 mm rubber expansion plug will not fit. Wishful thinking but the guy at autozone sold me on "It might be snug, but it may fit".

Not sure if sanding off some of the rubber would work to try to get it to fit or not.

I've not been able to source an 18 mm expansion plug. Even the big box stores don't go below the one i have with the majority being 1"-2"
I just realized I am 7 years late to this post but did you eventually find the right size plug for it? I need to get a temporary fix for the snapped fill port and a rubber expandable plug is looking like my best option. I need the size. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom