Trouble Shooting Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week I took my son on very close by Scout Camp out. On the way to the trip I noticed the AT/TEMP, BRAKE and VOLT light began to flicker on and off. I figured I had a short in the dash and added it to my lengthy repair list. Someone in another post of mine re my AC leak suggested my short my infact might be a sign my alternator may be going bad.

Next time a drove the truck four days later it died and I had to jump it 5 times to get back 4 miles. I did and search and I think a rebuilt OEM is the way to for me. I wouldnt know how to change out the bushes. But before I order and new alternator, is there any trouble shooting I can do? I plan to pull the battery and have it checked and then check the connections. Anything else?

If you're in a major city (PHX maybe) ask around and find good alternator/starter shop and have them overhaul it. They can test it, replace bearings & brushes and clean it up. It may just be straight forward and could save you some $$.

It's the alternator. Mine did the same thing, at idle all the lights would come on. Changed the battery to a Yellow top, lasted a day before the lights started coming on again. Then it finally died.

Go to Yota, or get a TOYOTA alternator from C-Dan with the external voltage regulator... I think yours is a '92 like mine... Do Not Buy Aftermarket Cheap Alts, the 80's do not like them. ONLY BUY TOYOTA!!!!

Unless you like changing the alt. again soon... :D

I replaced my aftermarket one a week after purchasing it. The Yota one has been in there now for several months with no problems.

Take the time and remove the smog pump and the air cooler hose to make room for the exchange. Doing this will save a major headache later.

Did I mention buying ONLY a Toyota alternator??!!

x1,000,000 on an OEM alternator.

I went through 2 Napa alternators last year before I finally decided to drop the $$$ on OEM.

A year later and still goin' strong at a full 80A.

But before I order and new alternator, is there any trouble shooting I can do? I plan to pull the battery and have it checked and then check the connections. Anything else?

Once you pull the alt., pretty much any auto parts store should be able to test it for free.

Once you pull the alt., pretty much any auto parts store should be able to test it for free.

I remember when I had my very last aftermarket alternator tested...

11 volts, max. :eek: :censor:

I'll have to dig up that thread.

Oh, BTW Fiveo...

When you start pulling the alternator, pull the smog pump first. It makes things a TON easier.

k thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom