ABS trouble shoot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 96 lx450. The brakes appear to work fine, but the trouble light for the ABS system comes on about 5-10 seconds after the truck is started and stays on. If I shut off the truck the light resets, then comes back on after restarting the truck.
Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem? And where to check
Thanks
I did some checking and found that if I start the engine and let it idle, the abs light doesn't come on. If I back up light still doesn't come on. If I move forward in a straight line, still no light. As soon as I turn the the light comes on. Seems to me that it indicates a problem in a wheel sensor. How do I check to find if that is the case and which wheel it might be.

Last edited:
I have a 96 lx450. The brakes appear to work fine, but the trouble light for the ABS system comes on about 5-10 seconds after the truck is started and stays on. If I shut off the truck the light resets, then comes back on after restarting the truck.
Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem? And where to check
Thanks
I did some checking and found that if I start the engine and let it idle, the abs light doesn't come on. If I back up light still doesn't come on. If I move forward in a straight line, still no light. As soon as I turn the the light comes on. Seems to me that it indicates a problem in a wheel sensor. How do I check to find if that is the case and which wheel it might be.
I have the same problem. I recently replaced the inner axel seals and bearings, and found one of my wheel sensors had been damaged when the Previous Owner broke a birfield. I’m hoping replacing the wheel sensor will fix the problem. I’ll let you know once I obtain a new wheel sensor and get it installed. They’re not hard to remove, clean and inspect. You could start there. See if any look damaged.

Open the good book (1996 FSM) to chaper DI ( Diagnostic's), page 188 (ABS system) and follow the prompts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom