Trouble lifting motor for oil pan removal. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI guys, so i'm attacking my leaky oil pan but having trouble lifting the engine of the mounts. Removed the top and bottom nuts but it won't budge, using the 2x4 under the crank pulley method, I know the springs will uncompress as i lift it causing the frame to follow but it seems like I'm getting up pretty high. I'm afraid its gonna give when its up high, i do have Dobinsons 2" springs but seems like i'm getting past the point they would be holding the weight of the truck if that makes sense. I've read up on the oil pan threads, is there anything else that needs to be loosened? maybe tranny mounts?
Thanks in advance,
James.

Ah ok. Makes a lot more sense now
Sorry rereading my post I should've said I removed the upper and lower bolts from the engine mounts and its not budging. I ordered the stuff, FiPG etc from you a long time ago, he, he, only getting around to it now. The puddles of oil on the garage floor are getting a little too big too fast for my liking, hopefully the pan is most of the problem.

Strap axle to frame to compress the suspension and keep it from raising. Be sure to remove radiator fan and/or shroud. I didn't loosen the trans mount at all.

If you have access to a cherry picker and space to use it, that is definitely the more sturdy way to raise the motor. I did the block on the crank pully method and had a couple small scares with the motor slipping off the block. Wasn't going to hurt myself as it just fell an inch back onto the mounts, but potential to break stuff.

Thanks guys, the straps worked like a charm, motor came up right away. I guess i have a lot more travel than I thought, he,he. Only got the small pan off so far, so many things to get out of the way, fortunately my bolts all come off clean, truck is pretty much rust free. Just doing a little at a time in the afternoons, should have the pan off in another afternoon.

Well, never want to do that again :p. Finally got it all back together, only let it idle so far but gonna take a spin soon. If anyone is following and is planning on doing this just look up the threads in here, lots of great tips. Some suggestions, might have been covered but anyway, write down all the steps and tips, wish I did, would have been easier instead of finding out the hard way after I forgot them, like the transmission dipstick mount, driveshaft and swaybar getting in the way, just move them out of the way. I bought a Milwaukee 12m ratchet, love it, saves a lot of wrenching, even a little impact would be great, only for removal of course. And if you have bad rotator cuffs its gonna hurt,😁 good luck to anyone attempting it don't curse too much, thanks for all the tips, love this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom