Troopy wiper arm question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my passenger side wiper seems to not be putting enough down pressure on the blade. It loses contact with the windshield in the center part for much of the stroke. The arm seems to be working close to or the same as its brother... the spring exerts pressure and nothing seems too out of whack. brand new bosch icon blades (and this began happening a month ago with the old blades).

Anyone have this happen? Need to pick up a new arm or might there be a simpler fix? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

wiper.jpeg

Your wiper spring inside the arm is worn out, and the arm is not pushing down hard enough. OR there is some crap in the hinge area keeping it slightly propped up.
kind of what if figured... the hiccup is that i can't find that spring for sale on an oem website. only the whole arm is for sale. if it's some kind of standard sized spring that i could get on amazon, i'm all ears. or if there's some other option. thanks for the reply.

Speccing out springs is such a pain. I've never really been successful, even using the Machinist Handbook for the math tables.

What I do now is go to Ace Hardware. The good ones have assortments of hundreds of different springs. Then I try to pick a close one.

Or you could just get new arms. They are only like $40.

Speccing out springs is such a pain. I've never really been successful, even using the Machinist Handbook for the math tables.

What I do now is go to Ace Hardware. The good ones have assortments of hundreds of different springs. Then I try to pick a close one.

Or you could just get new arms. They are only like $40.
yeah, might be headed that way (replace the whole arm). I've replaced so many parts now that one more bit seems like par for the course. after all, the arms i have are 23 years old now.

Update: pulled off the problem wiper arm and saw the round metal doohickey the arm plugs into has rotted away, giving play to a mechanism that shouldn't have any, therefore lack of wiper pressure on the windshield. pulling the trigger on a whole new mechanism, minus the motor.

I happen to be doing some powder coating of some 80 and 100 wiper arms and have them dissasembled.
1685419243134.png

(The little ones are from the small rear wipers on a barn door 80, the middle sized ones are from the front wiper arms on an 80. In terms of pull they seem identical.)

The two big ones in the middle are from the front wipers of the 105. Note that even between the sides one spring is much bigger than the other. I don't have any 70 on hand to look at at the moment..

I'd suggest it is unlikely you are going to match these springs precisely enough to get what you want. The first thing I would try is switching the wiper arms. It is possible that one side is stronger than the other and if your truck was painted at some point they put them on backwards--if the wiper arms are different on your 70.

The next thing I would suggest is just buying a whole new wiper arm.

I actually like doing the powder coating on old wiper arms. I think they end up looking better than new and they're certainly more protected than factory paint. Plus it's kind of neat to save an old thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom