Troopy Roof Rack - easy removal model suggestions & part no's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I've perused many threads on the subject, but I haven't been able to get a definitive answer, nor find the appropriate part numbers - so please forgive me for starting a new thread.
I would like to install a roof rack on my HZJ78. Unfortunately my garage barely fits the Troopy as-is, so the roof rack will be not a DD accessory, rather something to take with us on adventures. Main use will be to have an awning (specifically want one over rear doors) and to carry anything extra (recovery boards, etc.).
I've researched installing the awning directly on the gutters (Westfalia owners seem to do this frequently) but that seems both like a bad idea and is impossible above the rear doors.
I know roof racks aren't light and it is not going to be a one-man job to put the car in the garage. To this, a solution can be found.
It seems that the ARB roof rack can be (relatively) easily removed, and seems to be the best regarding mounting points too. Based on this - Roof rack ARB - CruiserWorld - I would assume 87x53in roof rack is what I would like to have (full coverage of flat area of roof). I have no idea of the part number for the roof rack or the mounting kit (many of the listings online have no images) - if anybody has a part number, specifically of the mounting kit (is it standard, or are there some differences for the 70 series?) that'd be great.
If you have other suggestions (companies or solutions) I am all ears... Thanks! :)

Thanks @coldtaco - I know gutter mounts are the only option. I think the ARB ones have a nice little plastic runner that "protects" the gutters themselves. Front Runner seems to be the other option, and doesn't have the runner.
If anybody has part #s, that would be great. I reached out to ARB USA a few weeks ago without an answer, unfortunately.

Just for reference, this is the sort of thing Westy owners do:

1608084171067.png

1608084221579.png

You can try the getting the OEM accessory gutter mount set off ebay Australia. They sell them for the 78 troopy. They come in two bar set along with an additional bar if you want three.

TOYOTA LANDCRUISER 70 HEAVY DUTY ROOF RACKS 2 BAR SET TROOPY AUG 2001> GENUINE | eBay

rackt.JPG

I got the same ones that are for a 76 series for my 77 and they work nicely. Each of the mounts come with rubber feet to protect the gutter rail. Tip: They are basically Rhino rack components re-branded as Toyota. Not much difference.

B278384A-3719-4EE1-9CF0-CC755BCBFD78.jpeg

Last edited:
The Rhino Rack "Tradie" platform rack is popular in Australia. It's a flat aluminum platform that mounts with the same feet as the crossbars shown above. etrailer.com in the US has decent prices on lots of Rhino Rack products (Redarc too) and I believe offer free shipping within the US on orders over $50. I have the 84"x56" platform, but it's not installed at this time. PM me if you would like more information about it.

I've got the Eezi-Awn K9 rack. It's gutter mount and it includes rubber covers that slip nicely over the feet thus preventing metal-on-metal contact in the gutter. As far as ease in removing goes... I reckon they are all going to be the same.

Once you've got the feet set to the appropriate distance apart to mate into the Troopy gutters they'll be fixed there on the rack itself. What I like about the K9 feet is that I could adjust them around until I was happy with where everything sat. Then I could add the outer clamp last that secure it to the gutter.

To remove it now I'd just take off the outer clamps and then pull it up and off.

That said, Troopys are so tall, it's no little matter to remove/replace. Also, with an awning mounted to it the weight distribution will be awkward to handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom