Troopy A/C install wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nuclearbeef

SILVER Star
Threads
I finally got around to installing my A/C kit from Joe and I'm having a little trouble with the wiring.

Here's the instruction diagram.

IMG_5267.JPG

The problem is that my Troopy no longer has the 9 pin connector.

IMG_5268.JPG

The A/C push button has 3 wires.
I assume 1 comes from the fan rheostat for power, 1 goes out to the thermostat.
What is the 3rd wire for?

All 3 are open when the button is out.
All 3 closed when in.

In the instruction diagram, what are the white/black and the blue/red wires in the 9-pin connector?

White-black is always ground. L/R blue-red is usually power, in this case, sending volts to the thermostat then the pressure switch via the compressor relay. If there is no pressure, volts don’t go to ground and the relay doesn’t close and the compressor doesn’t see volts.
My experience has taught me to trace the factory wires and make sure they match up to the wiring diagram. My troopy was one of the first 70s and things didn’t match up. Except W-B. Always ground.

White-black is always ground. L/R blue-red is usually power, in this case, sending volts to the thermostat then the pressure switch via the compressor relay. If there is no pressure, volts don’t go to ground and the relay doesn’t close and the compressor doesn’t see volts.
My experience has taught me to trace the factory wires and make sure they match up to the wiring diagram. My troopy was one of the first 70s and things didn’t match up. Except W-B. Always ground.
No wires for me to chase, as I'm missing the plug.

Disclaimer, I'm not good with electrics.

That said, I can't see how having one of the wires go to ground would work. With the button in, all 3 wires are connected.
If 1 goes to ground, wouldn't that just send the juice to ground?
Maybe it is ground for a the light in the button and the resistance in the filament would keep it from being a dead short?

Yes the ground on the switch is for the light.
unfortunately, it seems most mechanics are also bad at electrics. I’ve had to learn along the way and it’s been totally worth it when something goes haywire, pun intended. You understand electrons to ground, resistance, and other basic concepts. YouTube is an awesome learning resource. Sorry I can’t be more helpful specifically.

No wires for me to chase, as I'm missing the plug.

Disclaimer, I'm not good with electrics.

That said, I can't see how having one of the wires go to ground would work. With the button in, all 3 wires are connected.
If 1 goes to ground, wouldn't that just send the juice to ground?
Maybe it is ground for a the light in the button and the resistance in the filament would keep it from being a dead short?
You're missing the plug... but there appears to be a bundle of wires taped off there along your harness. Was the plug formerly there?

You're missing the plug... but there appears to be a bundle of wires taped off there along your harness. Was the plug formerly there?
Probably.
I ended up tapping into the power wire going into the fan motor.

Power from fan to switch, switch to thermostat, then thermostat to relay.

I only used 2 wires of the switch and did not ground it. It works as it should and the light in the switch comes on when the switch is down.

Mine is 24v. Don't know if it makes a difference. Waiting on the quick connect charge port to arrive, then I'll charge it up and report back.

I've got a/c on my 3b Pig and it does not idle up. It has no a/c amplifier. (not joe's kit... Nippondenso)
I think that with the low energy requirements of the Sanden compressor combined with the high idle torque of the 3b, it will not be necessary.

The idle speed does not vary detectably when the compressor cycles on and off on my pig.

I'll know for sure if it drags the idle down after it gets charged up. Probably be next week before I can get to it.

I'm wondering if, by bypassing the 9-pin plug, you aren't getting the engine idle-up function
@joekatana, does this kit idle-up the engine when installed with the connector?
The 1HZ sure doesn’t need the idle up , I had a oem ac in my troopy and the idle up was actually pretty annoying to me . Maybe a 2LT would function better with the idle up but the diesels with more torque at lower rpm seem to be better off without it.

I finally got around to installing my A/C kit from Joe and I'm having a little trouble with the wiring.

Here's the instruction diagram.

View attachment 2713153
The wiring diagram included was slightly different in the hzj73 install and I had to swap some wires around, I spoke to the supplier and they said that when they started making these kits in the mid 80’s some electrical parts where different and as time went by they have been replaced with newer models but since the volume of these kits is very low for them the schematics never got updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom