TRD??? is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didnt know it was 7k extra. what is the sticker then on a TRD?

2 of my buddies have fjc's. One blue and one trd edition. The trd one looks pretty sweet off the lot. My buddy with the blue one put a downey lift, 35's, arb bar, sliders and a 35 spare on back. The trd edition now needs a lift, 35's, arb bar, sliders and a 35 spare to catch back up. Is is worth the extra $? Depends on what you plan to do. If you're gonna change the suspension and tires anyway, buy the regular model and have your top painted black. You can use the extra cash for the aftermarket purchases. Either way, both trucks look pretty sweet.

yup

It's tough to find the base one. I have a TRD and a regular one and they were within $200. It's really not much more if you get one that is well equipped.

It's worth it if you want the options. This is what I would consider a "best of" options package, as it comes with the Convenience package, and upgrade #1. No Sub woofer. Has rock rails. No Bs add ons (roof rack, trailer hitch, spare tire cover).

A "normal" FJ outfitted the same way would be within $100 of the TRD.

Yes, I'm biased. I have a TRD edition :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Agree, a comparably-equipped FJ will not be much cheaper than a TRD.

You have to ask yourself a couple of questions here:

1. Are you in love with the all-black coloring of the TRD as compared to one of the other 4 colors with the white roof?

2. Do you plan on upgrading much?

The rockrails, hitch, and TRD wheels and tires are all available as options on any of the other FJs. Also, while the Yota rails are well-made, they are not well-designed compared to the aftermarket competitors. They are too close to the body to offer any side-angle protection or to serve as a lift point for a hi-jack lift. The tires are an improvement over stock, to be sure, but if you plan on lifting, you will likely want to go to a bigger tire anyway and the TRD wheels themselves are much, much cheaper if you don't get them from a dealer.

Doesn't the TRD come with an upgraded suspension and CAI as well? I can't recall.

Yes toyota has said that the TRD model has race tuned blisten shocks. Thanks for the info guys this is really helping my decision.

I thought the 7k was way off.

The bilstiens are noted as being better than the stock shocks, as it stops a lot of the "diving" many reported.

No CAI.

Yeah the 7k was if you had no options but 4x4 I guess if you are getting all after market stuff and you wanted to do it the right away. the base one would be the best and jut not get any options on it.

Thing is, you still want option 1, and get the locker and keyless entry, power windows, etc. If you're going to wheel that is. You don't have to pay for Atrac, the system is already there, just need to buy the switch for ~$50

Or, you can go with ARB's front and rear.

I would buy an aftermarket rack. The ARB looks real nice, and has a better weight rating.

i went with pk 1 and 2 and the ATRAC mod. all total my truck was 28,750MSRP. the TRD badge is nice to have, but if you intend to wheel its really not a godo idea IMO, heres why: the biggest thing that stands out to me is that most of what TRD upgrades is going to be relaced be somthing even better if you're wheeling with it (suspension, tires, etc.) also i havent seen it mentioned here but its good to note that the TRD exhaust actually *decreases* your departure angle slightly. again with all pros new exhaust i'd probably replace taht anyway, but it seems to me taht if your buying the truck as an investment (i.e. selling it with minimal depreciation or to collect as a rare item) or if you jsutreally cannot stand the white top, go for the TRD. otherwise i just cant make the case for it personally, at least not from my pricing point. $2,000 for a bunch of upgrades taht will be replaced anyhow? no thanks.

Yeah the 7k was if you had no options but 4x4 I guess if you are getting all after market stuff and you wanted to do it the right away. the base one would be the best and jut not get any options on it.

No the 7k was wrong. You asked if the TRD was worth the extra 7 grand. The only thing the TRD package gives you that no other package does is bigger tires, different shocks, and a black roof. There may be some small other differences but in a equally equiped truck its a small price difference. That package is not 7 grand more money. The question your asking is the TRD and all the options it comes with worth it vs the base truck. The answer to that is that it all personal perferance.

FJ Tex it right. The first few things I did to my TRD were bigger tires and OME suspension, so I replaced a couple of the main components in the package. I just really wanted the look of the black roof and the wheels. Resale will be a bit better too. To answer the earlier question, the rack and ladder ran about fifteen hun without the lights. It looks great though and it makes it stand out from a lot of them.

It is pretty exclusive.

I really love this truck and it is nice not to see my truck at everyother intersection.
I like the options, they work for me.
It is only a couple of bucks more than a similiarly optioned FJ.
Hell, I waste that much every month writing checks for my wife's got to haves and nice to haves.
I am happy; she's happy- Life is good!..gm

I really love this truck and it is nice not to see my truck at everyother intersection.
I like the options, they work for me.
It is only a couple of bucks more than a similiarly optioned FJ.
Hell, I waste that much every month writing checks for my wife's got to haves and nice to haves.
I am happy; she's happy- Life is good!..gm

i'm jealous... wanna make my payemnts for just a few months? :grinpimp:

She's pretty exclusive and very special and....

..........after 36 years and 6 kids, she deserves every little thing that I do for her.
She wont drive the FJ, she is exclusively a Landcruiser girl..gm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom