Family Truckster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will start a build thread. I've never done one before, but this is my third Toyota since I've been on mud. I like this Tundra/Sequoia section because there isn't many people here and I'm not looking for attention, just some pay back to mud for all the help over the years. This 05 4x4 Limited Sequoia has been the family Truckster for about 3 years. I talked my wife into a Sequoia when the Suburban had too many problems. We have 5 kids, but one is in college now. We tow with this Sequoia, explore with this sequoia, get groceries with this Sequoia and minister out of this beast (I'm a Baptist pastor in Ulysses, KS now. Been a parts salesman at 4WP and many things in between.) I'm no expert but at 40 something have owned and built about 6 4x4's.
The grill was a cool upgrade when I decided the Sequoia was mine. I wanted to say, "I'm a Toyota guy and proud of it." So I spelled it out. Here goes...

It seemed like a few have done this but I couldn't find a write up on it. So I thought I would do one. I tried to take pictures but missed some steps. But I think the pictures tell the story.
Here's the Tacoma grill I bought:
iSUNLIT Front Grille Grill for Toyota Tacoma 2016 2017 2018 2019 with Logo Letters, Black Amazon product ASIN B08BC8GJ77
Before:
20200918_104217.jpg

The grill is simple to remove, 7 nuts I believe. Then cut the center section out of the Tacoma grill:
20200918_114148.jpg

20200918_114155.jpg

Then cut the Sequoia grill. You will take out more than you think, just get busy cutting, leaving the metal bar and lower plastic section. Also leave the full surround, cutting cautiously.
20200918_152546.jpg

Then trim the Tacoma section to fit. I also had to trim the center badge some. I didn't take a picture of the badge trimming.
20200918_152557.jpg

This upper picture shows where I cut the Tacoma section to allow for the "V8" badge.

Last edited:
The finished product:
20200918_173415.jpg

The hood latch bracket broke, I will Fab a new bracket holder that attaches to the metal brace on the grill. I'll try to take a picture and post in here. It came out pretty even and doesn't look bad. It took about 4 hours, trimming and painting. The wind blew the grill down (on the ground) 4 times too. I finally gave up and just cleared and attached it to the hood.

Last edited:
I kept the "V8" badge, it may have been easier not too. 4 screwed attached to the bottom plastic, 4 screws and plumbers strap on top to pull it in. 3 final notes, my Sequoia is an 05, I ultimately used my miter saw to cut the Tacoma section to fit (15* is the magic number + or -) and after some debate on TSOR on Facebook I also need I will probably add some expanded metal behind it. I found 2 dead birds behind my grill and expanded metal will keep them out and I like how it looks. Win/win to me.

Last edited:
I kept the "V8" badge, it may have been easier not too. 4 screwed attached to the bottom plastic, 4 screws and plumbers strap on top to pull it in. 3 final notes, my Sequoia is an 05, I ultimately used my miter saw to cut the Tacoma section to fit (15* is the magic number + or -) and after some debate on TSOR on Facebook I also need I will probably add some expanded metal behind it. I found 2 dead birds behind my grill and expanded metal will keep them out and I like how it looks. Win/win to me.
Looks good! Can you use the left over honeycomb from the Tacoma grill to fill in?

Looks good! Can you use the left over honeycomb from the Tacoma grill to fill in?
Because the honeycomb is uneven I think it would be more work than it's worth. Also one center piece snaps into the honeycomb. Maybe someone else will want to try the honeycomb but I didn't want to attempt it. Too many jagged edges to secure. I think it would look good but not what I wanted. I will put in expanded metal probably.

Also couldn't find a decent write up on an ARB air compressor in a 1st Gen Sequioa. It may be out there but I couldn't find it. When I sold my 100 Series I kept my compressor and winch. I will most likely build a bumper soon for the winch.
So, to install, I had seen someone install by the air box, but no how to. I bought some 1" strap and bent brackets. I measured for clearance above the relay box and tried to make sure I could get the power steering res. cap off. No problem. After bending, drilling and adjusting, I bolted the compressor to the brackets and then bolted the brackets down. I used a self tapping screw in one location. Here's pics of the finished product but no pics along the way. If needed I will take better pics. It does clear my hood, it's been installed for a week.
20201002_161911.jpg
20201002_161921.jpg

After installing the ARB it wouldn't turn on. I wasn't getting good contact at the battery. The fan would turn on but the compressors wouldn't run. I bought Marine grade terminals from the parts store and did my best to clean and improve. Down the way I may go with a larger battery but this Auto Zone was purchased on a road trip picking up a truck for my 16 year old. I'm still learning and not finished. I'm also limited by what the parts store had. I don't like the busbar on the negative side, but the cut hose section gives protection. There's better products out there so I will keep looking. Here's my battery improvements:
20201002_161934.jpg
20201004_163142.jpg

Also, because we go off road (mostly Colorado but want to go back to Moab) the lift parts are growing. ARB springs coming soon (if USPS can find them) and Land Cruiser springs for the rear. Then rear shocks. Going to rebuild the front while I'm at it.
20201004_184059.jpg

Looking good so far! My 05 SR5 4WD with 91K is my DDS&FUV (Dad Daily Surf & Fun Utility Vehicle). Daily driving is hauling around my daughters and their friends to surf while several times a year going on dispersed camping trips all over the Southwest and Baja. Previous rigs were an 85 4WD SR5 pickup and a 97 4WD 4Runner. Both lasted well beyond 300K. Slowly adding things as I have time, resources and need.

Right on! This Sequoia has traveled all over the West. It came from Tulsa and has taken us to many a national park. Last picture below is at Craters of the Moon in Idaho (furthest it's been from home) bought it with 155k and it's sitting at 205k now. It does everything asked of it and does it well. It's become part of the family. We now tow a 23' 1991 Jayco camper with it and then wheel it. The Sequoia is a very reliable and capable platform. Funny thing is, it takes us there and back but it's somewhat unassuming. It doesn't require much attention and I haven't taken many pictures. I guess that will change. ;) Thank you for commenting.
20200717_131047.jpg
20191208_133629.jpg
20190808_070546.jpg

One more of the Sequoia in South Dakota and then my Cruiser History.
20190730_170927.jpg
20200429_143134.jpg
FB_IMG_1602098313278.jpg

I lifted up the front this weekend. Also installed p/s CV axle, lower ball joints, upper control arms and sway bar end links. Gonna try to do the back tomorrow if time allows.
20201101_133044.jpg
20201031_175107.jpg
20201031_175120.jpg
20201031_175134.jpg
20201031_175053.jpg

How it sits today. Definitely nose high. Gotta wait on wheels and tires, stockers for now.
20201101_161339.jpg
20201101_161322.jpg

I like this a lot. I've been meaning to find a way to mount this. I was reading that ARB does not recommend mounting it sideways (like between air box + ABS module).

If you have more bracket pictures, I'd love to see it. I also have the solenoid for this and gotta mount that too.

Also couldn't find a decent write up on an ARB air compressor in a 1st Gen Sequioa. It may be out there but I couldn't find it. When I sold my 100 Series I kept my compressor and winch. I will most likely build a bumper soon for the winch.
So, to install, I had seen someone install by the air box, but no how to. I bought some 1" strap and bent brackets. I measured for clearance above the relay box and tried to make sure I could get the power steering res. cap off. No problem. After bending, drilling and adjusting, I bolted the compressor to the brackets and then bolted the brackets down. I used a self tapping screw in one location. Here's pics of the finished product but no pics along the way. If needed I will take better pics. It does clear my hood, it's been installed for a week.
View attachment 2455832View attachment 2455833

I hope this helps. I didn't take any when I made them.
20201102_115812.jpg
20201102_115814.jpg
20201102_115834.jpg

Put in stock 80 series coils today. I may still go with lift coils as these sit lower than I wanted. Although, if the front comes down with a bumper I'll be happy. 265/70/17 tires for now until money allows. One kid in college gets my spare money. Alignment on Wednesday. 😎👍
20201102_114729.jpg
20201102_114743.jpg

The freedoms are pretty good! They've been on mine for a year. I use LUCAS RED & TACKY to grease em. Very easy to do.

Hey, thanks for the encouragement on the Freedom UCA's. I was searching for alignment specs on TSORA Facebook group and there was a lot of negativity about them. I greased mine up with red, tacky grease (unknown brand). It's at the alignment shop now. It's been there for about 5 hours and it was first on the rack. Fingers crossed it's coming out ok.
UPDATE ON LIFT: I haven't been happy with the Land Cruiser coils on the back, I'm going to OME 2860. The LC coils are too low, probably going to be too high with the OME 2860's. I'm planning on a rear bumper (eventually) and some gear in the back. I'll keep everything up to date here. I've had air bags on the back for about 6 months, they are keeping the back up for now.

Hey, thanks for the encouragement on the Freedom UCA's. I was searching for alignment specs on TSORA Facebook group and there was a lot of negativity about them. I greased mine up with red, tacky grease (unknown brand). It's at the alignment shop now. It's been there for about 5 hours and it was first on the rack. Fingers crossed it's coming out ok.
UPDATE ON LIFT: I haven't been happy with the Land Cruiser coils on the back, I'm going to OME 2860. The LC coils are too low, probably going to be too high with the OME 2860's. I'm planning on a rear bumper (eventually) and some gear in the back. I'll keep everything up to date here. I've had air bags on the back for about 6 months, they are keeping the back up for now.

Ya a lot of people there are very into the higher end setups. Couldn't swing it for this one 😂 and the freedoms do fair for the price - not as good as the others obviously.

I have the 2860 and with the BFF bumper & it does well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom