Traveling to Oregon trail suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I’m going to be taking my West Coast cruiser through Northern California and then much of Oregon. Planning to take a few weeks. I will be camping at Little crater lake campground, and diamond Lake Campground. Those are the only two that I have figured out so far. I will be traveling with my wife and kids.
I will be driving my West Coast cruiser. 97. Monster lined, 2 inch lift on 285’s. The vehicle is plenty capable, but I also need to get home. I am good at calculating risk so far. ARB with a winch. Overall, well-maintained.

I am interested in finding some remote trails. Mountain views, plateaus, waterfalls, switchbacks, and some good rock hunting always sounds good.

Would be great to find some great new places. If anyone is up for a trail ride for a day or two, it’s always good to have company.

I'll try to get some info together for you.

Table Rock is an easy hike. Fish Lake and Lake of the Woods are nearby to Diamond Lk. Sourghdough is a pretty remote but fun drive for your 80. Deer Creek is closer and easier to get to, both are outside of Cave Junction give or take. Both are great for camping. Umpqua river outside of Roseburg has lots of water falls and swimming. The Smith river has some nice spots too coming over from 101.

I'll try to get some info together for you.

Table Rock is an easy hike. Fish Lake and Lake of the Woods are nearby to Diamond Lk. Sourghdough is a pretty remote but fun drive for your 80. Deer Creek is closer and easier to get to, both are outside of Cave Junction give or take. Both are great for camping. Umpqua river outside of Roseburg has lots of water falls and swimming. The Smith river has some nice spots too coming over from 101.
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Remote is AOK for me and the family. I'm a big guy, hiking 4 miles roundtrip is good, hiking in 8 isn't :)

Thinking about gas too, doesn't look like there is a lot of places to get gas once we leave Little Lake CG area. Considering gas cans on the roof.

There is a couple little towns west coming down 62 into the Rogue Valley. Shady Cove is the first to come to mind for gas. Crater Lake is only 70miles or so from Medford. All the place listed are well within a tank of gas in a 80 to the closest station. Guess I'm saying the locations you are talking about and I mentioned shouldnt be a big deal. My 80 when I had only got around 10mpg and never carried extra. Now for the rest of your trip; couldn't hurt depending on other location you're visiting.

When are you planning this? Reason I ask is I think this is going to be hot dry summer here. 90*-100*+ days. I'd more concern depending on your 80 making sure is cooling system is GTG. :D

I can get you more detailed info on those places. And sure I or some of the other guys here will add. That was just top of my head. The only hike I mentioned above is Table Rock, its short, but cool view of the Rogue Valley and some neat history.

Oh, and as you probably know Wits' End is here in town if you want to harass Joey :flipoff2: @NLXTACY
I didn't know he @NLXTACY was in Oregon now... No. But that means I need to drop by. Maybe we can put the blue fan clutch on my cruiser ;)

There is a couple little towns west coming down 62 into the Rogue Valley. Shady Cove is the first to come to mind for gas. Crater Lake is only 70miles or so from Medford. All the place listed are well within a tank of gas in a 80 to the closest station. Guess I'm saying the locations you are talking about and I mentioned shouldnt be a big deal. My 80 when I had only got around 10mpg and never carried extra. Now for the rest of your trip; couldn't hurt depending on other location you're visiting.

When are you planning this? Reason I ask is I think this is going to be hot dry summer here. 90*-100*+ days. I'd more concern depending on your 80 making sure is cooling system is GTG. :D

I can get you more detailed info on those places. And sure I or some of the other guys here will add. That was just top of my head. The only hike I mentioned above is Table Rock, its short, but cool view of the Rogue Valley and some neat history.
So Shady Cove works well for fueling up. Sounds like I might be OK with gas. I'd like to avoid carrying gas, but wouldn't want to run out either.

Looks like I'm going to head out next week, so fairly soon. I am hoping for cooler weather, we'll see what happens. The cruisers spent a lot of time out west in summer so hopefully it does well. I've got a few parts I'm packing for the ride too, just in case.

Any additional detail would be awesome! Table Rock is on my list now.

Sweet. I sent you a PM with some coords to of the more remote areas. Table Rock, there is 2, upper and lower. Lower I think is more dramatic (higher) and upper easier hike but more plateau up top.

I will say I avoid it, just because the amount of poison oak that Im highly allergic to. But my daughter (11yrs old) and my ex hike it almost every weekend for fun.

What part of Northern California

If your heading out or back HWY 62 Crater Lake i a nice stop and view. Its only a short hike to the rim.

My wife is more into the waterfalls than me but there are several out that direction as well. There is also a hot springs out that way towards Roseburg taking the back roads.

Also heading out 62 there is Beckys (42.907105078543786, -122.44465047154546) good pie and icecream. Out that way there is also the gorge and natural bridge that aren't much of a hike to walk around and view if your looking to stretch your legs. Several camp grounds up there too.

If your heading out or back HWY 62 Crater Lake i a nice stop and view. Its only a short hike to the rim.

My wife is more into the waterfalls than me but there are several out that direction as well. There is also a hot springs out that way towards Roseburg taking the back roads.

Also heading out 62 there is Beckys (42.907105078543786, -122.44465047154546) good pie and icecream. Out that way there is also the gorge and natural bridge that aren't much of a hike to walk around and view if your looking to stretch your legs. Several camp grounds up there too.
Crater lake is on the list. The kids love the waterfalls. Me too. Hopefully get a chance to catch lunch or dinner.

Hadn’t seen the natural bridge. Just found it, that Looks like a great place to spend a day! Awesome!

Thank you

Last edited:
Copy, I’m further in the North East corner. If your passing thru to Tahoe, Burney Falls State Park may be on your way or if going thru Alturas Mill creek falls at the the clear lake trail head in Jess Valley. A little off HWY 395, but not terrible

I'm considering this drive, looks like I get altitude, views, maybe snow if we get lucky... Anybody familiar with this area?

1623182624027.png

I haven't been on Elk Creek Road in years. As far as I know its a normal two lane back road in rural Oregon.
If your heading up that way South Umpqua Falls (43.0546202101382, -122.68596585245618) isn't a bad place to visit. They have a mini fish ladder and a little "fall" that people jump into (I've taken a pack raft off of it a few times, tells you how scary it is, lol). Probably a little cold this time of year but I doubt you'll find any snow, it will be too warm for that.

I haven't been on Elk Creek Road in years. As far as I know its a normal two lane back road in rural Oregon.
If your heading up that way South Umpqua Falls (43.0546202101382, -122.68596585245618) isn't a bad place to visit. They have a mini fish ladder and a little "fall" that people jump into (I've taken a pack raft off of it a few times, tells you how scary it is, lol). Probably a little cold this time of year but I doubt you'll find any snow, it will be too warm for that.
Thank you for the coordinates. We will be seeing both of these places. I'm amazed at how many remote places have old paved roads. The falls are going to be a lot of fun for the family! Leaving in a few days

It will be during the week 👍 Thank you

Howdy!

My son and I are taking the long way driving from So CA to Seattle to visit family. We are looking to spend a few days traveling north via a route that goes Klammath Falls - Crater Lake - Bend - Mt Hood. I found a few dirt/gravel roads that seem interesting. Does it seem reasonable to drive & camp in 2 segments:
- Klammath to Bend
- Bend to Mt Hood

Can anyone suggest any sights that you would consider interesting and campgrounds that are somewhat quiet. Bonus points for fishing spots.

Any help is much appreciated!

Probably too late for your trip, but in case it helps…
Both of those legs are completely do-able on road. Each is about 2.5 hours of good highway.
If you’re talking off road, I’d say no.
However, there are hundreds of dirt roads and trails that take off from the highway. Choose almost any one and you’ll find somewhere to camp off of it. Most land out there is public BLM land…
As for fishing, the Williamson river just north of Klamath Falls is pretty well regarded.
On the 2nd leg, the Deschutes river is pretty famous (at least locally). Look at some camping around the town of Maupin.
River rafting from there is pretty sweet too…they have a few guide outfitters in town.
Have a great trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom