Trasharoo alternatives? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody using a hatch or spare tire bag for trash and recycling that isn't a Trasharoo? I ordered them for myself and a buddy in June and they keep getting delayed, backordered, delayed again… I could probably make my own but likely not for $60. Interested in what people are using, especially long term.

So far I've found these online, some are more competitive than others:
Ferro Truck Ruck - currently sold out, 4x the price of the Trasharoo
GARB - custom order with 5 week lead, 4x the price of Trasharoo (but made in Canada)
Also a couple knockoffs on Amazon which are probably all made in the same Chinese factory anyway:
Amazon product ASIN B07VTNPFC7 and Amazon product ASIN B07FWCNJD8

Check out “The last US bag company”. They have a trasheroo-styled product (Oscar’s Hideout, or something like that).
They are in Vancouver, WA.
Super well-built stuff. Pricey but great.
Good luck…

Mine's from All Top Overland Equipment, super beefy build and price comparable to a Trasharoo. It's also a little bit bigger than the latter.

Melon recreation.jpg

I've heard good things about the Adventure Trail Gear bag.

Blue Ridge makes something similar. Their products are top notch but not cheap.

Trasheroo is a colossal piece of trash. Clips snap just looking at them, the bag busts open holding a light load of trash. Never again.

I just swing by the feed store and buy some bulk dog food so that I can grab one of the woven poly "dog food" bags. Basically a big sand bag. Large enough to drop a 50 pound bag of dog food in and still close at the top. Plenty strong. I use these, or smaller versions, to stow my snowchains in. They last for years with the stress of dragging chains out of the truck and restowing again them all winter long. Sure, they might not last a lifetime, but they are practically free and they will serve just fine to haul trash off the trail. If I did not want the dog food, I am sure the feed store would sell me the bags straight out for a few cents. Secure them to the back of the rig with cord, twine or generic straps. It's not rocket surgery or brain science. Throw it away after your trip or reuse it until it starts to fall apart. remember... they are CHEAP. Then you can spend your $40+ on some other cool overlanding stuff instead.

Mark...

I just swing by the feed store and buy some bulk dog food so that I can grab one of the woven poly "dog food" bags. Basically a big sand bag. Large enough to drop a 50 pound bag of dog food in and still close at the top. Plenty strong. I use these, or smaller versions, to stow my snowchains in. They last for years with the stress of dragging chains out of the truck and restowing again them all winter long. Sure, they might not last a lifetime, but they are practically free and they will serve just fine to haul trash off the trail. If I did not want the dog food, I am sure the feed store would sell me the bags straight out for a few cents. Secure them to the back of the rig with cord, twine or generic straps. It's not rocket surgery or brain science. Throw it away after your trip or reuse it until it starts to fall apart. remember... they are CHEAP. Then you can spend your $40+ on some other cool overlanding stuff instead.

Mark...
I've done this for a long time as well. I don't often generate enough trash for the Trasharoo though it looks tacticool hanging off the back of the truck.

MSA 4x4 has the best rear wheel trash bin I've seen. Adventure imports bring in MSA 4x4 from australia. oddly, they seem to have removed the bags from their website. Might be worth a call to them. They are very high quality and last. Here in AZ, those s***ty trasharoo brand bags last a year at best before they breakdown from UV.

I have a Howling Moon PVC bag and its been great. I went through 3 Trasharoo bags before switching.
David was great but the bags just did not hold up to my abuses.

I was checking out the garbage bag that @Outsane had on his 80 from Adventure Trail gear in Canada a few weeks back and was impressed with the quality. I have one of these in brown on order.

Have the GARB—it's held up to everything we've thrown at it over the last 3 years, and still looks like new (if/when it gets washed). It isn't left on the truck full-time. I'd buy it again, despite the cost.

I have the Blue Ridge Overland Gear (BROG) XL bag on my truck. It's stout and I use it to haul our porta-potty, firewood, and you can still fit a 13 gal trash bag inside.

One of the biggest disadvantages of the Trasharoo is the material selection. It just doesn't hold up to any UV exposure for long. Secondly it is a PITA to mount. The BROG bag is two components: strap system is applied to the tire and cinched up snug, then you attach the bag via carabiners. My only complaint about the BROG is the grommet drain hole is geometrically centered if the bag were expanded into a full rectangular footprint, but in reality it never is shaped that way hanging so the drain hole is not the lowest point once mounted. A second grommet would be easy enough to add.

1634326238275.png

I really like my GARB from NBX. Has just enough rings, straps and pockets for exterior items like straps, spare parts, gas and fuel gear and trash of course. Also attaches super fast to the tire. I carry 2 1# propane cans, straps, bungees, trash bags, spare gas cap, water filter parts and frisbee inside it. This is it at 16 months of use now. Minimal fading and zero tears or failures.
4698E47C-60B0-4A57-BFFA-F0420A1BF356.jpeg

I love how NAPA got in on the Overland craze!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom