Transmission/Transfer Case rebuild or… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AKPoser

SILVER Star
Threads
74 with a 4 speed-
I have the f1.5 motor, trans, transfer out currently and getting the block and head machined to rebuild.
My question: Should I spend time and money on rebuilding or just gasket the transmission and Transfer case (T&T).
BC6F1AA2-6E6A-4B28-99D1-0E0EFCCE457C.jpeg
Im not sure if T&T needs a full rebuild due to only getting the ol basket case running to find the the bottom end of the f1.5 needs rebuilt. In the 4-5 miles I did drive it everything seemed smooth and no noticeable noises that I could hear at a top speed of 25-35 mph. Shifts smooth in 2 wheel drive and 4. Thoughts and recommendations for T&T parts?

It will never be any easier than now while it is out. Plus, it seems like it would be a really great feeling to go back with essentially a totally fresh drive train.
Just my 2 cents.

Will you be rebuilding or sending out? The 4 speed is, um, difficult to tear down completely. I believe there are some special service tools to get the bearings out.

T-Case isn’t difficult at all.

Will you be rebuilding or sending out? The 4 speed is, um, difficult to tear down completely. I believe there are some special service tools to get the bearings out.

T-Case isn’t difficult at all.
Until your message I was planning on doing in house. I wasn’t aware of the special service tools besides a standard bearing puller. Maybe I could take to a local shop when I need bearings pulled. I’m mechanically handy, but not an expert.

It will never be any easier than now while it is out. Plus, it seems like it would be a really great feeling to go back with essentially a totally fresh drive train.
Just my 2 cents.
My thoughts exactly!

leak, grease, wise that thing is pretty dang clean. I'd take the pto off and have a look at tcase gears, you can see the bottom of tcase thru that window to check for evidence, should come out with oil but sometimes pieces will stay in there. Check thrust on idler in tcase at same time. That tcase should be fine spline on the output. Personally I like to find something to justify rebuild, X2 on you can do the tcase, the 4spd, IMO send to Georg . ( Cruiserbrothers/Valleyhybrids )

I rebuilt both of my 78 and yes, there are some special tools shown in the manual, but you can get by with clam shell bearing pullers to remove the bearings of the output shaft and the counter shaft.

For assembly you need a section of pipe, all thread a couple of nuts. You need to use the threads on the end of the output shaft to attach the tool too, so that you can pull the shaft through the bearing to seat and keep the thrust washer lined up with the slot and pin in the shaft. I just used the spacers and gears to stack everything up and turned the nut on the end of shaft to pull it through. I didn't have a welder so I had to improvise.

Get 3 lengths 12 mm all threads with the same pitch at the long bolts that hold the transfer case to the transmission adapter with nuts to pull the transfer case and transmission together because the weight distribution of each box makes it hard to get everything lined up. Mark the spacers so you get them in the right place on assembly because the photos in the manual you can tell what order they go.

Depending on the miles the rear output shaft and the input gear will most likely have worn at the splines from shifting gears and should be looked at. Mine had 103K miles and it was recommended that they both needed to be replaced.

With a Toyota manual it is not that bad.

Until your message I was planning on doing in house. I wasn’t aware of the special service tools besides a standard bearing puller. Maybe I could take to a local shop when I need bearings pulled. I’m mechanically handy, but not an expert.
I rebuilt a 4-speed and transfer case a couple of years ago and it was a first for me and it was not that bad. There are a lot of resources on this site to help you out as well as venders that help with any questions that are generated. Get the Toyota manual and get creative with substitutions for the SSTs.

When assembling keep an eye on the thrust washer that has an anti rotation slot does not get dislodged because it will lock everything up and nothing will rotate. You will need bearing pullers to get the shaft bearings out.

I rebuilt a 4-speed and transfer case a couple of years ago and it was a first for me and it was not that bad. There are a lot of resources on this site to help you out as well as venders that help with any questions that are generated. Get the Toyota manual and get creative with substitutions for the SSTs.

When assembling keep an eye on the thrust washer that has an anti rotation slot does not get dislodged because it will lock everything up and nothing will rotate. You will need bearing pullers to get the shaft bearings out.
Thanks to all who replied, and the great information! I did chat with Georg at Valley Hybrids back in January and appreciated his input and willingness to answer all my questions. I have found someone local in AK to take a look at it and I’ll let you know the outcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom