Transmission slips in reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I try to back up a steep incline, even on pavement, I get a bang/clunk from the tranny that sounds like something letting go, followed instantly by a God-awful metal-to-metal skreech, AND NO MOVEMENT. No problems on level ground, even when backing a 23' Prowler trailer. Fluid is clean Mobile 1. 126K miles - all maint done by original dealer for first 92K; this is my first problem.

I did find that by adding power as gradually as possible I could back up a hill that had just triggered the bang/screech/no-go condition under my "normal" application of throttle. However, since this is my only vehicle I'm not inclined to explore the envelope in which this problem occurs and risk aggravating it... but I would appreciate recommentations on how to proceed. I don't know very much about auto transmissions, but I can probably swap this one out if I have to and can find the time. Whatcha think? Thanks, BigMac

Normal for the 343 tranny. Toyota has addressed this issue however all trucks I think are beyond the terms for a claim. basically thgey changed a spring in the valve body as well as the material in several O-rings in the clutch assemblies. What your feeling is the reverse clutches engaging slowly. So easing into the climb lets the clutch force to keep up with the power as you press the excellerator.

Mine has been this way for almost 80k. When I went to 315s it got worse and then got better when I regeared to 4.88s.

Rick - Thanks - I will have to grit my teeth and try this again a few times to see if the ultra gradual application of power will get the truck moving in all situations. But seriously, the noise is so screaming loud and the "letting go" bang so severe that it's clear something is very wrong here. The truck seems to start to move just a bit before the clutch (apparently) releases with a helluva bang and then all motion stops and the skreeching noise continues until I get off the gas (pronto).

I have seen the service bulletins on engagement shudder and that's not what I'm dealing with. So if it's any component internal to the transmission case, my guess is that a reman tranny from CDAN is the best option...

BTW, I'm running 33" tires, stock gears and an S/C. BigMac

BigMac,

I am currently experiencing the EXACT same problem. I was stuck the other day because I coudln't back up in some deep sand. I also can't back my car trailer up an steep hills. Have you had any luck getting the problem fixed? I would love to NOT replace the tranny, haha.

Thanks for yor help,
Steve

I've had this happen once when I changed gears from drive to reverse and tried to back up a steep incline (but I didn't know it was a tranny problem), and I've been able to avoid the problem ever since by doing the following (can be done using 1 foot on 2 pedals, but I prefer the 2 foot method):

1. Change gears to reverse while holding left foot on brake, wait for reverse to engage
2. Keep left foot on brake, start accelerating with right foot
3. Continue accelerating more with right foot while letting off brake with left foot

Not sure why this works, but it does.

I also have similar issues. Usually, if I know I will be reversing under load, I will go to N, shift to 4L and reverse. I REALLY hate that shudder:( I have never had it happen in 4L, not even under severe trail conditions.

Any thoughts on fixes?

This is the same problem that I am having, any body knows the reason or fix?

YES I have the same problem on low or high for that matter!

just here for the obligatory 442F gloat, especially to Alaskacruiser :D

Hey landtank,

Did you ever find the TSB you reffered to in the other (concurrent :rolleyes: ) thread on this? Sure sounded like that was the fix for these folks.

Curtis

You know, Dan has been nice enough to send me that damn thing twice now, and I can't find either of them. It does however cover exactly what everyone is have trouble with. Unfortunately you have to completely tear down the tranny to install everything.

Klubens for hire anyone? If it is gonna require more than some basic skills, I'm out. I guess that is why some have lived with it for so long :)

Rick,
Other than the Dealership, where can you get the TSB's for any or all fixes?

IMHO what I think is happening with the tranny from both the problems discribed and from Landtank's fix understanding is that the spring in the valve body is not giving enough pressure built up to the clutches/brake.

From the illustations in my book there are 2 sets and clutches and 2 sets of brake involved. This is only my opinion with the limited knowledge that I have.

As long as the TSB does not have you make a change to Brake 3 (( 1st and Reverse (which is at the bottom of the tranny) then only a few components will have to come out of the tranny.

As for changing out a spring. Piece o cake. Once the Valve body is down all the springs are readily available.

Seems like this my work, it makes sense will try this quick fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom