Transmission Mount / Engine Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To All,

I own a 97 lx450, 101K mikes on the odo, all stock. Recently, I felt a slight movement or a thumb in the drive train every time I hit a bump, I feel it mostly when I put my hand on the gear selector as I am taking the bumps, the selector itself wiggles back and forth but not severely but you can feel it and see it wiggle, am I correct in my guess that it could be a bad transmission mount or an engine mount ???

Thanks guys for the advise in advance.

C-Dan, if that is the case what am I looking at to replace all mounts for Engine and Transmission from a cost point of view so I can place my order with you ????

Al

The engine mounts are steel brackets welded to the frame, then the engine is bolted to these mounts. Possible loose nut, but doubt it. The tranny is bolted to a crossing member that is bolted to the frame. Possibly losse, but doubt it. The shift is bolted down and runs through the floor board and is thru bolted to a lever that attaches to the transmission. I'd look there first.

If you've got an FSM, look at the shifter attachment, pieces and parts that get you down to the transmission to see where the different connection points are.

:beer:
Rookie2

Rookie2,

Thanks for your reply, I will look through the FSM tonight and follow your recommendations.

Thanks

Al

DM-

FYI, I was concerned over the the same deal (play in the shifter on bumps), replaced the tranny mount, still does the exact same thing. Don't bother with it.....

Mark

It might be helpful to discribe the shifter wiggle a bit more. Is it front-to-back, side-to-side or vertical movement that you feel? The way the shifter and linkage are set up, the direction of movement should help give an indication of where the load input is coming from, or at least elliminate some things.

Rookie2

CHeck your exhaust mounts from the cat back. I have one that is broken ( I might fix it today) and it makes a thump when I hit a bump.

My T-case shifter moves a little when i rev the motor in gear.
THe trany shiflter is not mounted on the trany. Its mounted on the floor of the cab. There is linkage from the shifter to the trany.

Is it you t-case or trany shifter that moves?

It could be the first exhaust mount behind the cat. Thats the one I have to fix, someday.

if I am reading you right mine does the same thing, tranny shifter moves for and aft when going over large bumps, it got worse for a short period after I lubed the driveshafts until the excess grease worked its way out, I think as the axle moves up some of the movement it taken up in rotation of the engine/tranny/tranfser assembly arround the long axis along with the slipspline this moves the shifter linkage

you can see it in the transfer case shifter also

Guys,

Thanks for the feed back, after spending sometime last night going through the FSM, I finally decided it is not a mount issue, I had the rig on the lift this morning over my friend's shop and I checked all the mounts and nothing was loose or needed replacement as well as the exhaust mounts as well, all looked good nothing loose at all.

The movement is slight for and aft as you pass over the bumps, and yes it gets noticeable more as you go over hard ones.

To clarify more it is the tranney shifter that does that not the T-Case shifter.

Thanks

Al

<To clarify more it is the tranney shifter that does that not the T-Case shifter.>

Not clear to me unless its mud:D

Kurt.

I agree with you, it is not like the rig sees a lot of mud, I have been sand dunning almost every weekend now and it appears that off-roading trails started to take some toll on the drive train....looks like to me some mods are coming down the road.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom