Transmission issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I have a 93 fzj80, gas engine. After the truck sits, when I start it there is no reverse,nothing at all just like being in neutral,and when put into drive the engine stalls. I've discovered that if I Rev it up to about 2500 rpms, dump it into drive while mashing the throttle, after a few times it breaks free and seems fine. I then have reverse and all forward gears shift fine. Until I turn it off and it sits again. Torque converter? Shift solenoid? What do you think? Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

Hi guys. I have a 93 fzj80, gas engine. After the truck sits, when I start it there is no reverse,nothing at all just like being in neutral,and when put into drive the engine stalls. I've discovered that if I Rev it up to about 2500 rpms, dump it into drive while mashing the throttle, after a few times it breaks free and seems fine. I then have reverse and all forward gears shift fine. Until I turn it off and it sits again. Torque converter? Shift solenoid? What do you think? Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

Sounds like both to me.

My bet is on shift solenoid and trans filter

So first kick down cable adjustment 1.3 mm from the red button to the cable end and next shift solenoids the Isuzu ones are the same just do a search on them I am to lazy right now :flipoff2: and we salute you FNG's this way

Well, the easy thing is to replace the solenoids and see if that fixes it. All four can be had for about $50-$60 if you go with the Isuzu versions.

First. check fluid level when engine is warm and level. you can also drop the tranny oil pan to gain access to the solenoids and wiring replace filter etc.

Any updat with this? I have same exact issue in my 93... just bought it from an old couple that left it parked 3 years because it wouldn't go into OD.
Actually yes. It was my transmission control module. After having the transmission removed and inspected, And finding no real issues with it, I had it rebuilt and the tc rebuilt as well due to worn clutches. I had a spare tcm from my parts truck installed and the problem was fixed. I had the usual windshield leak and although I had it resealed I'm thinking water got into the tcm and damaged it. Not sure on that it's just a theory. The tcm is up under the dash on the drivers side.

I could be wrong here, but I don't see how the transmission malfunction could be computer. The A442F is a hydraulically controlled transmission, unlike the A343F, which has electronically controlled shift solenoids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom