Transmission, A750 issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm at 42K on my 07 FJ and just overheated the tranny while down in Nags Head, noticed it shifts rougher, so my next plan is to do this and I'm adding a oil cooler and a larger PML tranny oil pan.

PML Pan: PML Toyota A750E, A750F Deep Transmission Pan (hope it clears my BudBuilt skid plates)
AUTO TRANS OIL COOLER, SIZE - 11" X 9 1/2", PREMIUM PLATE AND FIN COOLER MEDIUM DUTY, BYPASS
Case of
Toyota - World Standard Autom (00289-ATFWS) - adding a couple extra quarts
FRAM FT1237 Automatic Transmission Filter

Genuine Toyota Fluid 00295-00103 Formed-in-Place Oil Pan Gasket - 3 oz. Tube

I'm at 42K on my 07 FJ and just overheated the tranny while down in Nags Head, noticed it shifts rougher, so my next plan is to do this and I'm adding a oil cooler and a larger PML tranny oil pan.

PML Pan: PML Toyota A750E, A750F Deep Transmission Pan (hope it clears my BudBuilt skid plates)
AUTO TRANS OIL COOLER, SIZE - 11" X 9 1/2", PREMIUM PLATE AND FIN COOLER MEDIUM DUTY, BYPASS
Case of
Toyota - World Standard Autom (00289-ATFWS) - adding a couple extra quarts
FRAM FT1237 Automatic Transmission Filter

Genuine Toyota Fluid 00295-00103 Formed-in-Place Oil Pan Gasket - 3 oz. Tube
A Hayden 679 is all you need combined with AISIN fully synthetic AFW+ if you can source that. My tranny temps never ever go over 75 even under extreme conditions.

A Hayden 679 is all you need combined with AISIN fully synthetic AFW+ if you can source that. My tranny temps never ever go over 75 even under extreme conditions.
I may have gone overkill on this project, I got the Hayden Automotive 698 Transmission Oil Cooler, which I believe has more cooling capacity. I figured if I was dropping the pan to do the filter, may as well upgrade the reservoir as well for more cooling capacity. I couldn't believe it overheated so fast when I running the over sand vehicle area at the beach. I believe it's a gearing issue with the 33" tires, my next project is trying to figure out which is better: 4.56 or 4.88 gear ratios in a Supercharged FJ?

I may have gone overkill on this project, I got the Hayden Automotive 698 Transmission Oil Cooler, which I believe has more cooling capacity. I figured if I was dropping the pan to do the filter, may as well upgrade the reservoir as well for more cooling capacity. I couldn't believe it overheated so fast when I running the over sand vehicle area at the beach. I believe it's a gearing issue with the 33" tires, my next project is trying to figure out which is better: 4.56 or 4.88 gear ratios in a Supercharged FJ?
Its 679 basically with thermal bypass added, good if you live in colder regions. With the cooler your transmission won't heat up even in sand but yes, if you feel that your vehicle is getting bogged down due to 33 a regear is always a good idea. 4.56 is what most folks do.

What were your trans temps? When you were driving on the beach- were in 2wd-or 4hi-or 4low?

FWIW No real need to change the filter in the pan the steel mesh filters are usually clean - and going the trouble of dropping the pan and chancing stripping pan bolt (easy to do), just exchange the fluid when you install the cooler with AISIN WS ( $6.75 qt on RA). Lots of write ups here how to do fluid exchange and since you're installing a trans cooler and lines will be disconnected, its the perfect time for that. Takes at least 12, 13qts to get clear fluid running through the system so buy 16 to be sure you have enough.

What were your trans temps? When you were driving on the beach- were in 2wd-or 4hi-or 4low?

FWIW No real need to change the filter in the pan the steel mesh filters are usually clean - and going the trouble of dropping the pan and chancing stripping pan bolt (easy to do), just exchange the fluid when you install the cooler with AISIN WS ( $6.75 qt on RA). Lots of write ups here how to do fluid exchange and since you're installing a trans cooler and lines will be disconnected, its the perfect time for that. Takes at least 12, 13qts to get clear fluid running through the system so buy 16 to be sure you have enough.
I don’t know the temps, but the idiot light came on showing high temps, my truck is heavy: Stainless steel skid plates, dual batteries, rooftop tent, 12000 winch, bud built sliders, hi lift jack, dual tanks, supercharged, front and rear Aluminus bumpers, 7 Jerry Cans, Maxtrax X 4 33 inch spare, etc. and towing a Manley ORV with another RTT and a dirt bike. (Zero FX). I was in 4WD Low.

I don’t know the temps, but the idiot light came on showing high temps, my truck is heavy: Stainless steel skid plates, dual batteries, rooftop tent, 12000 winch, bud built sliders, hi lift jack, dual tanks, supercharged, front and rear Aluminus bumpers, 7 Jerry Cans, Maxtrax X 4 33 inch spare, etc. and towing a Manley ORV with another RTT and a dirt bike. (Zero FX). I was in 4WD Low.

Fawk- you’re asking a lot from your truck with all that stuff and pulling all that stuff through sand- hell I’d be throwing the red flag up too. Lol

Get a scanguage so you can keep an eye on your coolant and trans temps. I think the remote oem trans cooler is well designed and proportioned for hd use on our trucks, not sure how to improve on that. You might look into a Nomad heavy duty valve body for the trans- that would help manage the slip and heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom