transfer case ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I've searched and searched and read all the FAQ's and for some reason i cant find the answer to a simple quesiton. SOrry, because im sure this is redundent and been asked before but how many quarts does the transfer case take for a drain and fill?? I found the numbers for fluids in the FAQ and how it takes the same weight, but how much? Thanks in advance..

its around 2 quarts to fill the transfer case, fill it till it comes out the fill hole,

Tor the front & rear diffs and transfer case all at one time you need 2 gallons.

TRANSFER
Oil capacity, L (qt., lmp qt): 1.7 (1.8, 1.4)
Oil type: ............................. Multipurpose gear oil API GL–4 or GL–5
Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 75W–90

You can download the Owner's Manual (OM) for your vehicle for $10 from the TIS web site. While you're there, it only takes a few hours to grab all the manuals for your truck; the Factory Service Manual (FSM), the Electronic Wiring Diagrams (EWD) and several other valuable resources. The '96 LX450 New Car Features (NCF) has a lot of engineering details so grab that one while you are there.

$10 well spent.

-B-

Last edited:
Ok I've searched and searched and read all the FAQ's and for some reason i cant find the answer to a simple quesiton.

I did "Advanced Search", 80-Section, threads, Keywords=transfer capacity

... and came up with these 2 threads that both have the information you were searching for.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/262247-transfer-case-capacity.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...er-case-differential-engine-transmission.html

What keywords were you using?

-B-

Last edited:
Transfer case
transfer case fluid
ETC.
and looked through the Faqs.

I guess my computer skills arent up to date

Yes, those terms would return waaaay too many to read through and I think that tid-bit of information isn't in the FAQ.

When I am faced with doing a SEARCH, I try to think of the basic terms that define what it is that I am looking for. Sometimes I can remember a specific thread and some obscure word that was used in that thread, or the original poster (OP) of the thread. That helps.

In this case, you were looking for the capacity of the transfer case, so "capacity" is a good SEARCH term. We use X-fer, xfer, & transfer, sometimes with the term "case" so that is why I selected "transfer capacity". Seems obvious now, but not so obvious when you are trying to think of SEARCH terms. If I had come up with too few results, I would have tried "transfer* capacity" to pick up misspellings. It isn't really computer skills as much as it is experience in reading threads and how 'Mudders ask and answer questions in the Tech sections. It also helps to know that most OM's have a "Capacities" section where they list the fuel tank, engine oil, transmission, etc. The information in post #4 came from the "Capacities" section in the 1997 Land Cruiser Owner's Manual.

Hope your project comes out OK.
:cheers:

-B-

Last edited:
Also, you don't have a transfer case on this full time four wheel drive system - it's a center differential. I don't think this would impact on the search for center differential capacity, but perhaps.
DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom